VHF radio question?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

VHF radio question?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Do any of you monitor it while fishing? And if you do what channel? I know 16 is the coastguard channel but what does everyone else use. Kind of like 19 on a CB is the most popular channel. It would be kind of nice to hail on a channel that we know other members are using. Never know we can help each other catch fish( what color their liking today, or what area/depth) or be able to help out another member in trouble( out of gas or realizing their electronics are dead). :-D Just a thought that might make for a better day on the water. :thumbup:
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Our gang that fishes down on the flats regularly monitors channel 8 on vhf. Was down there yesterday...monitored 8 most of the day. Did go to 16 awhile. It's a good idea to be on the same channel with your buddies. Some monitor channel 14. :D Did they miss the weather forcast yesterday. We got pounded with high winds and waves most all day....with the worst coming afternoon. Caught at least 100 short trout...with 10 keepers mixed in...over in the Rock Garden. Went out from Aucilla.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

How was water in Rock Garden area...still murky?

Thanks for any info! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Rhtfish......the water was fairly clear over in the Rock Garden. I could see bottom most of the time while we were in 3-4 ft range. When we went out to the 6 foot depth...I couldn't see bottom. Temp was 63.5 over there. We were close to GreyMare...Peter's Rock...Cobb Rock.
We went East of Aucilla one time and it was much murcker over there....but bigger fish....but much fewer too. Some friends were down toward Rock Island....around the bird racks. They did well.....with many shorts.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Many thanks for info! Sure is encouraging its clearing up some.
Two weeks ago it was really murky/muddy between Peter's Rock
and Grey Mare.

Thanks again!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

and some Alright fella's If you would please.. I've been their many times, but my finding " The Rock Garden, & Grey Mayor" are guess-work. Does anyone have some GPS numbers for either of them??? I myself usually fish West of the light house some :thumbup: some :thumbdown: I'd really like to try the East side more

:oops: I'm sorry .. just relized.....topic---topic---topic :smt012
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:smt010 Help my thread has been hijacked. :smt010 How about we pick a channel for forum members to monitor? Say lucky #7 or some thing. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Can anyone out there hear me? Come back. :-D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Repeat, repeat please. :-D
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Loud and clear! :thumbup:
Usually monitor ch 16 and jump elsewhere to chat.

ch 7 sounds good to me.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I always monitor 16 and jump to another channel once hailed :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Ditto on monitor 16, and jump when hailed.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Ditto on 16 and switch when hailed. This is the common practice. Might wanna switch to 7 for forum buddies, but I'll continue to monitor 16.
What was I supposed to do today?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I thought you were not allowed to hail anyone but the coastguard on 16. :-D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

16 is THE haling and distress channel :-D you just can't carry on a conversation on it without getting scolded :smt014 and I agree with that also, aint nothin more bothersome than listening to a couple yahoos chit chatting while fishin :smt065 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”