St. Marks 5-14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 5-14

Post by BIG »

Was supposed to work all day, but the draw of beautiful weather and 1-2 ft seas forced me to put work off until another day (obviously, I am self-employed). Besides, I just bought a new depth finder and had some flush mounted rod holders installed and they needed to be tested! :thumbup:

Got to the lighthouse and launched by 3:15 p.m. ran about quarter mile south of the bird rack and drifted west of the channel. My buddy immediately began hooking into short trout. We were fishing 5 feet of water and the temperature was 79 degrees. The tide continued to rise and despite drifting north toward shore we eventually found ourselves in 8 feet of water and no bite.

Eventually headed further west and caught fish between the 1st and 2nd poles (are those the stake lines?) from 4-5 ft of water and the temperature was 79.4-79.9. Shrimp was the preferred bait of the day. Lost a couple of decent trout at the boat not taking it too seriously because we had enough fish for a decent meal.

Final totals:

1 Spanish Mackerel - 22" (Shrimp under CT)
2 Trout - 15.5" and 18" (Shrimp and Candy Corn under CT)
1 Rock Bass - 14" (Yellow Grub on Jighead retrieving moderately)
18 Shorts (Mostly shrimp under CT and various SWA)

Back at the ramp by 6:30, bite slowed down tremendously after 5:30 p.m. Seemed that with the water so warm you really needed to be fishing as close to the bottom as possible. Also, threw Catch 2000 quite a bit and only had a couple follow it to the boat, no strikes.

Lastly, had something strange happen. On the trip home all the fish died in the livewell except the Rock Bass. Cleaned it and rinsed it off and it continued to twitch and flop at least five minutes after the head being cut off along with being gutted. Talking about a freaky event. :smt010

After that experience, it was easy to get up and go to church this morning. :wink:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good job....BIG.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Trout need alot of fresh aerated water to stay alive...Rock bass will live on ice to Moultrie Ga and bite you on the cleaning table :o :lol:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like ya made the right decision between work or play :-D :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Those rock bass are tough critters. Fishin beats work most any time.
What was I supposed to do today?