Hard bottom areas near Carrabelle

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hand's Tied
Site Sponsor

Hard bottom areas near Carrabelle

Post by Hand's Tied »

Planning to head down to C'Bell in a few weeks and do some grouper fishing if the weather permits. I have never fished this area in my boat, consequently the only numbers I have are public reefs, towers, etc. I would like to find some hard bottom areas to fish. My plan is to run out to about 60 ft or so, keep an eye on the bottom machine and troll. Is it reasonable to expect to find any good bottom using this blind searching method or are there general areas of hard bottom that are offshore (within 20 nm or so) that I should concentrate around?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks,
Randy
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Trolling for grouper in the summertime is usually an exercise in futility. The key to fishing in the summer for grouper is deep water (70-100 feet), long leaders and big live baits. I would try the areas around O and S tower and look for hard live bottom.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Hand's Tied
Site Sponsor

Post by Hand's Tied »

I guess I put that wrong - wasn't planning to troll for grouper, just kings, etc. Really just a way to pass the time while looking for spots to bottom fish. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes...
Hand's Tied

One of these days I'll get to move back to FL......
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Oh, well that is different. You shouldn't have any problems with kings this time of year. Probably will have to weed through some boneheads though. :D

That is a great way to look for new bottom. Be sure to stop and check out anything that looks interesting, even a bait show off the bottom.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

pbr241
Site Sponsor

Post by pbr241 »

We just got back from St George. Fished the O tower 3 days. Some Kings down deep. Bonito on top. Bara hitting both. Trolled with dead Cigar Minnows.
pbr241