vhf hand helds

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

vhf hand helds

Post by rx fisher »

I fish a 16 foot sc fiberglass boat around St. Marks mostly, staying within 3 miles in the flats. I have a hand held GPS that has worked will for me. Thinking of adding a VHF, could I get by with a hand held VHF , space is a little tight.? Your info has always served me well, thanks in advance
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

I have a Hummingbird Handheld VHS (around $100-$125) that works great from St. Marks to Suwannee. I usually fish within 5 or 6 miles of shore and it has always worked fine for me. I also fish from a small boat with limited space, and its been a good alternative. I have a permanent mount Hummingbird on my pontoon boat with an 8 ft. antenna. To be honest, I see very little difference in performance between the two in the inshore areas I fish.

Seatrout99
dowawoo

handheld

Post by dowawoo »

Had a hummingbird for two years, salt got to it, it worked good , but next radio I spent a little more and got waterproof, I have alot of faith in the little radio, don't want salt in it.
Don
dowawoo