line twist

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sailfish

line twist

Post by sailfish »

When targeting redfish I like to use a gold spoon (Johnson or gator). I'm using them on a spinning outfit with 10 lb monofilament. All too often I end up with a real bird's nest due to line twist. I have tried using a barrel swivel, but I still get line twist. My brother and cousin - who catch a lot of redfish - both swear that they don't use swivels and don't get line twist. This is rapidly becoming a matter of family pride since they keep getting redfish when they visit here and I don't - even though I live here! I can catch redfish on the grass flats near Little St. George, but not around the oyster bars near St. Marks. So, any suggestions on reducing the line twist problem - or finding Reds for that matter - would be appreciated.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will
always long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

Use a good quality swivel, the barrel type like a Sampo, the cheap swivels don't work. Attach directly to the gold spoon with a ring or sometimes when throwing right on oyster bars I run about a two foot leader of 20lb florocarbon leader with the swivel in between. Another trick you can try if your still getting line twist is to play out about 50 yards of line (no lure attached) behind the boat when you are at idle speed, the line will naturally untwist.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

You can use a barrel swivel with a leader. Also, above the swivel, smash a tiny split shot on your line. This will act as a rudder keeping your line straight and allowing the spoon to do it's job. You might be retrieving the spoon to fast causing it to spin.
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

I attach a small ball bearing swivel to all my johnson spoons with split rings. No line twist.
MstrBaiter

Post by MstrBaiter »

throw some 15 lb. pp on that bad boy and fugettabadit....

also, manually close the bail on your reel after casting and make sure the line is tight before reeling....
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It also matters what type of reel you are using. You need to have one that has a good ball bearing line roller on the bail. This was a problem I had for years and couldn't figure out why I kept getting line twists and birds nests. Once I went to higher model reels like the Stradic the problem went away. I also almost never close the bale with the handle. When I do it is when the bait is still in the air and the line hasn't gone slack. When I close it with my hand I make sure I pull the line tight at the reel before I start reeling.

I NEVER use swivels for flats fishing. I know some damn fine fishermen who do but I don't.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

I NEVER use swivels for flats fishing. I know some damn fine fishermen who do but I don't.

Purist! :-D
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

What Tom says is right.......I fished about three weeks ago with two older spinning.reels that are about worn out..albeit they were good reels when new.....both were spooled with new line....line didnt last two days.. got to where there was a birdnest nearly every cast...

Last Fri and Sat I fished with new Spheros for first time....Like night and day the difference....I dont know when I enjoyed a reel more...No twist and smooth as silk........
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I learned this from an old fishing partner who is a retired engineer who was working for Diawa. He taught me that from Line twist can also be the product of improper spooling of your line on your reel.

Lay the filler line spool on the floor so the line coils in the same direction the spool turns when you crank the handle. If the reel turns counter clockwise, make sure the line is coiling off the filler spool counter clockwise. Otherwise the line will wind on to the reel and twist, and this will cause casting problems. :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I use #10 SPRO swivels. They are expensive but well worth it. The #10 is so small you nearly need a magnifying glass to put your line through. It is rated at 35# strength. I've never had anything break one. Scott at Jerrys' Bait and Tackle carries them.
sailfish

Post by sailfish »

Thanks for all the replies. You have all given me some good food for thought.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I always rig a barrel swivel when I fish a spoon. A quality swivel is a must. Tie one end to your line, and the other to your desired length leader.
I started this a few years ago, and have not had a line twist problem since.
You also need to make sure you change your line with a frequency. I know guys who change theirs after a few trips. I try to change mine every few months.
Good luck.
sailfish

Post by sailfish »

Following some of the suggestions received here:

Put a Sempo swivel on a split ring attached to a gold gator spoon and no more line twist problems with the mono!

Also put a spoon on another rig using Power Pro and - no line twist problems.

All in all, a much better experience than the last outing. Thanks for the suggestions!
MstrBaiter

Post by MstrBaiter »

:thumbup: