Despite Hannah Steinhatchee fish bite

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GrouperMaster

Despite Hannah Steinhatchee fish bite

Post by GrouperMaster »

Steinhatchee Fishing Report 9/16/02

Tropical storm activity in the Gulf has impacted fishing this week. Severe sea conditions have halted offshore fishing. Seas ran from 6' to 12' offshore. Winds whipped over 20 knots with gust. The grouper fishing report is this...the grouper hunkered down on their best ledges and rocks and enjoyed each other without being harassed by fisherman. We all need our private times, don't we? I liken it to taking a nap during a storm and hearing the rain pelt the tin roof while the thunder drums you to sleep. I like calling in the two dogs and having a slumber party nap. I wonder if the grouper invite a couple of their reef buddies to weather the storm with them. Whatever and who knows, but I believe they will be interested in eating since the storm has passed. Can't wait to find out!
Trout and redfish remained active. I fished Saturday (during the big blow) and Sunday and had better than expected results. I tucked in (2-4'), on both days, to the shoreline and picked up trout and redfish. For trout the "candy corn" colored jig body from Bass Assassin kicked butt. It, undoubtedly, was the color to throw. Shrimp, along the shoreline, was the best bait for reds and the trout roaming the banks. Pinfish chunks worked some but not that well this weekend.
I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage folks to do this...Float a live pinfish on the leeward side of the boat as you drift along for trout. No, not just any pinfish, but the biggest pinfish you can catch (take the time to rig a cheap rod just to catch that pinfish). If the pinfish ain't over 5 inches long don't use it! I know, I know...'that bait is too big, ain't no trout can eat that'. God has not made a pinfish too big for a gator trout to eat. Sunday a 26" trout took a 7" pinfish, intended for a cobia, tarpon, or shark. That trout worked on the pinnie for several minutes before finding a way to shallow it. That wasn't the first time I've witnessed the engulfing by a gator trout. Give it a try, it may make you happy.
This coming week the weather forecast is favorable. Take time to take advantage of it. Thanks for reading.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Capt......thanks for the great report as always sounds like the trout and red fishing is really picking up in your area......I may just have to mke a run up their and try my luck......I may need you to point me in the right driection for I no nothing of the flats up their........ :(
GrouperMaster

Post by GrouperMaster »

Let me know when you will be in the area, who knows, I might be around.

Keep up the good work!