dioxin and fish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

stevo

dioxin and fish

Post by stevo »

so I haven't really been posting here often since I haven't been doing much fishing in the area as of late. My brother just moved to pensacola, right on perdido bay, so I've been headed there every weekend to fish with him.

I just learned that there is a paper plant that discharges its waste into perdido bay. Atricles I've read say test results show high levels of dioxin and arsnic in the mud in perdido bay.

I have a few questions.
At what level is dioxin an/or arsnic at too high a level to eat the fish?
Should we be eating any fish we catch in the bay?
Is the paper mill pollution the reason the whole bay (as far as I can tell) is mud bottom with no grass?

We catch a bunch of hardheads and some sail cats. We've kept a couple sails and filleted them. Got a couple of nice reds too, right in the middle of the slot size. Nothing else really, some croaks hear and there. Theres some sheepshead under the hwy98 bridge too. His neigbor says the flounder is killer come fall time, so I'm looking foward to that too.

-his neighbor said before they implemented the net laws he would lay a net off his dock at night and in the morning have 30 flounder-

What do you guys think, would you eat any fish from Perdido Bay? :lick:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Don't know anything about Perdido Bay, but I do know there is plenty of grass, and fish in The Santa Rosa Sound. You might want to try fishing a little further east, and see what happens.
What was I supposed to do today?