I got crabs!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

I got crabs!

Post by Tom Keels »

:D

My friend Wil and I got 4 dozen nice blue crabs down at Hickory Mound this morning. Caught them all by 9:30, at times 2 and 3 at the time. Looking forward to crab stew tomorrow.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

sounds good Tom eat a bowl for me....get a chance send me the recipe
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Crab Stew Recipe:
Clean and segment crabs. Count on 6 medium size crabs per person.

In a large pot start a 1 to 1 oil/butter and flour rioux. Cook until the color of your shoe tops (really that is how I learned it). It is actually a rich brown gravy color. The darker the rioux, the richer the flavor, but you are playing chicken with it, so be careful.

Cut and dice 2 large onions and 12 cloves of garlic.

As soon as the rioux is the right color add the onions and garlic and stir constantly for about 3 minutes to sweat them.

Add in the crab bodies and claws. Stir and coat crabs with the mixture.

Add hot water to the pot and leave about an inch below covering the crabs. The water from the crabs will provide more water than you think.

Bring back to a boil and add salt, black pepper( the more the better), and cajun seasoning to taste.

Reduce heat to a simmer, and stir occasionally. Cook for about 2-3 hours.

Serve the stew over white rice with garlic bread and salad and sweet tea.

Enjoy. I know I will.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

thanks Tom I will give this a try... :lick:
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Just Curious

Post by seatrout99 »

Tom,

Just Curious. How do you catch crabs other than a crab trap and the old "chicken neck on a string" method?? Is there a recreational season likes scallops or can you catch them year round?? :roll:

seatrout99
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

We didn't have any necks, but a drumstick on a string was the trick. I don't know if there's a season or not, Tom will have to answer that one.

Tom's family was kind enough to invite me over for dinner last night to try that stew, and I can say this: It is the only way I'll be fixing crabs anymore.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

No season. You can catch them all year. New and full moons in the fall and spring are best.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

There's always a bunch of traps on the docks at Econfina. We tried it over Labor Day. Had low country boil. It was good but they sure are alot of work for just a tad of meat. I'll have to give that stew a whirl.

tf