Fall Flats Fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MAJMPS4

Fall Flats Fishing

Post by MAJMPS4 »

Haven't been on the flats in awhile due to football practice and teaching your children so you can fish :D . However, I am planning a trip on October 12. This is my first year at fishing the flats and learned alot about spring trout and other fish. What is the fall time like? Bait suggestions? Should the water temps begin to cool to bring the trout back into more shallow water. Planning on fishing the Fenholloway. Will appreciate all suggestions.

By the way it was sweet for UF to survive Neyland. Go GATORS :D :D

Tight Lines and Good Fishing.
U.S.
Army of ONE
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

In my opinion , Fall is the best time of year to fish the flats. October 12 should be smack in the middle of the best fishing. Top waters in 2-4 feet and cajun thunders with jigs in 4-6 feet should get you all the trout you want. Work the oyster bars and saw grass edges for red fish using gold spoons or jerkbaits. Big spanish should be moving back trough any day now. Nylure jigs and clark spoons, as well as live pinfish in 8 -12 feet should be deadly. Look for the bait schools and work the edges of them.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

MAJMPS4

Post by MAJMPS4 »

Thanks, Tom. I need to get what fishing in that I can before deer season begins.
U.S.
Army of ONE
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

If you have ONE good fall fishing trip you'll say to heck with deer season! It's very addictive. Anybody seeing any mullet? I hope they bunch up in the Aucilla again this year.

tf
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

TF, saw a ton of mullet over the weekend, but I was down fishing in Mosquito Lagoon.

MAJMPS4- How 'bout them Gators. The fall is just to full of activities, Gator Football, Fishing, and deer season just around the corner. I need either longer days, or longer weekends. :D
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

I caught some of the biggest mullet I have ever seen at Bald Point saturday. They were all over the place. In fact in one throw with only a 6 ft cast net I caught 8. That's pretty good for me anyway.

I could see the schools splashing from out past the channel. Came into the bars to investigate, and the mullet were everywhere. Unfortunately I broke them up while going through them with many productive throws. They never schooled back up like they were when I first got there, but they lingered long enough for me to pick up 30.

Meanwhile out on the flat I worked hard for 3 keeper trout, and a 22" Red.

Good Luck out there.

Will_Fish_4_Food
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

WF4F, do you eat the mullet, or use them for bait ?
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

These will be going on the smoker! They are excellent smoked and seasoned! :lick:

However, I use small "finger" mullet all the time as bait. In fact had I headed back out for more fishing I probably would have cut one of these up and caught a big ol' shark.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nothing better than a fried mullet.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

FRESH FRIED, grease heating on the beach while you clean the fish in the surf :D A bit of a pain, but WELL worth the trouble!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I had smoked mullet last Spring , it was delicious. :lick:

When I told a few people how good it was, they thought I was joking.
It does not have a great reputation with some folks, they see it only as a baitfish.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Them folks that think mullet is just bait must not be fron around here, HUH. :lick:
What was I supposed to do today?
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

That's right tin can. I fried mullet last night that I caught last Thursday. Hated to freeze 'em but my schedule wouldn't allow a quick clean-n-eat. Sho was fine!! Cheese grits, beer batter hush pups, fries, vidalias, sweet tea, and FRIED MULLET. Hope to catch some more next week.

tf
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Give me a call next time the grease is hot. I'll bring the dessert! :D
What was I supposed to do today?
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

10/4. Key lime pie sure is good after a "fry"! :lick: