TELL ME HOW TO FISH A CAJUN THUNDER?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woman loves to fish

TELL ME HOW TO FISH A CAJUN THUNDER?

Post by woman loves to fish »

LOVES TO FISH, GOES OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. DONT LET THE RAIN STOP ME MUCH. I GO OUT ON THE FLATS AT BALD POINT AND TRYING TO CATCH THE REDS AND TROUT USING A CAJUN. NOT SURE HOW TO FLOAT IT .DO I WORK IT? JIG ON OR OFF?LIVE BAIT ON HELP. WOMAN LOVES TO FISH :P :D :D
ann
MAJMPS4

Post by MAJMPS4 »

I'm no expert but have had success this spring and summer. I tie on a grub with about an 18-24 in leader. (Some friends use cut bait too, shrimp is OK but the pin fish and rock bass take them most of the time). Throw it out on the drift side, keeping the line tight as possible jerk and reel similar as I would do a topwater plug. I have started this type of fishing only this spring. I use the smaller of the two types of floats, the one about the size you would use when bream or speckled perch fishing. You can use the larger one with a live pinfish or other type of baitfish work in the same fashjion and just HOLD on. I have enjoyed it sooooo much, I quit bass fishing altogether. :o For the reds, I fished in the shallows 18"-3' using a SheDog, TopDog, many others use gold spoons. I haven't had much success using them. I did catch my first red( and it was a dandy, using a pink catch 2000 suspending lure. :D You might want to redirect this message to inshore fishing, and should get numerous reports.
U.S.
Army of ONE
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I have fished them for around two years now and have had very good results. I, like MAJMPS4 fish with a jig tied on around 18" to 24" unless I am trowing over the oyster bars, I then use an 8" to 12" leader. I use FishBites to tip my jigs " http://www.fishbites.com " and never have to use live bait. If fishing for Reds, I will gently pop it around every 30 seconds to a minute. If fishing for Trout, I will pop it harder and a littel more often. You really should try the top water fishing also, it is one hell of a rush to see and hear them biguns hit. The best producers for me in top water is the TopDog Jr., and the ChugBug "both with a silver bottom and a blue top". Also, when possible, throw up current and work it back to you with the current, this gives a more realistic look to your bait :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

What they said! 8)
woman loves to fish

ABOUT THE CAJUN THUNDER

THANKS FOR ALL THE IN FO I WILL GO TO THE INSHORE FISHING POSTING AND TRY THAT. I HAVE TRIED USING LURES WITH NO SUCCESS, AND SEEMS LIKE IT GETS MIGHTY $$$$$ IF YOU LOSE THOSE LURES. WENT FISHING AT THE POINT YESTERDAY AND DIDNT CATCH BUT BAIT, THE ROAD WAS PRETTY WASHED OUT AND THE DOCK ACROSS FROM THE KOA WAS HALF GONE.. THANKS GOING FISHING TODAY TO. THANKS :D :D :D
ann
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

woman loves to fish, when you say "the point", do you mean Alligator Point ?

Was there much storm damage in that area ?
woman loves to fish

about the point

yes i was talkin about alligater point, well the dock was gone. the road was washed out some, they had to bring in some truckloads of sand to help build it up.the beach area was really grassy and nasty. but caught a 20 inch red right off the beach, and lost one i assume was larger. :D
ann
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

wltf, thanks for the response.
When I saw that jetty/pier in the Spring, it looked quite flimsy, as did the supports on some of the houses further up the Point.

Nice result with the trout, was that on a Cajun Thunder method ? :)
We will be back in October, can,t wait.
woman loves to fish

A RED FISH I CAUGHT, WISH IT WAS A TROUT. I AM GOING TO ST.GEORGE TODAY HOPEFULLY COMING HOME WITH FISH. IN JUNE CAUGHT COOLER FULL OF THE BEACH ON DEAD BAIT{BLUES,MACKERAL,TROUT,WHITING} IT WAS SO COOL. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN JUST GOOD TIMING. LOVE THE FISHING HERE? WHAT ABOUT OVER IN ENGLAND, IS THAT WHERE YOU ARE AT?
ann
woman loves to fish

NOT ON THE THUNDER, IT WAS TO CHOPPY. THOUGHT THAT IS ONLY FOR LIKE FLATS FISHING, USED A DOUBLE DROP WITH SHRIMP
ann
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Sorry about the misreading, I must have had some sleep left n my eyes. :)

When I was there in the Spring, some of the lads fishing from the "pier" were using popping corks/floats, so Ijust assumed that you were.

A nice redfish isn,t too bad, a 20 inch trout would have been better. :)

Best of luck at St Georges Island, let us know how you get on.

I,m not really from England, I just pretend that I am.
I live around the corner from Tom Keels. :D
woman loves to fish

went to st. george

WELL WENT TO THE ISLAND, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. WENT INTO THE STATE PARK AND WENT TO GET SOME BAIT AT THE BOAT DOCK AREA. WELL CAUGHT A FEW , WHILE MY HUBBIE CAUGHT A HUGE SHEEPHEAD BY AN OYSTER BAR {22 INCHER} , THEN WE WENT DOWN TO THE BEACH ACCSESS AND DIDNT HAVE MUCH LUCK. A FEW UNDERSIZED POMPONO,AFEW CATFISH, A FEW WHITING. NO BIG HOOKUPS. IT SUCKEDD . BUT A DAY FISHING IS BETTER THEN CLEANING ANY DAY. WELL MAYBE BETTER LUCK THIS WEEKEND, IF LILI DOESNT GET US. :idea: :D
ann
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

ann, you had a good day and caught fish, that can,t be bad. :)

I hear that sheepshead are good eating. :lick:
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

any day on the water is a good day in my book I don't need to catch fish to have fun on the water........but I do love to catch fish I just wish it would cool off a bit...... :)
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Jere, you need to move up into the mountains , its a lot cooler there. ;)

Of course, there are no sea trout, redfish, grouper, snapper, kings etc up there.

I guess you will put up with the heat a bit longer, Right ? :)