Ancient moter needs work-need good motor man

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

crabjoe
Site Sponsor

Ancient moter needs work-need good motor man

Post by crabjoe »

I've got a '54 evinrude that I recently acqired. Does anybody out there have a good motor man that they could reccomend? Motor runs but doesn't pump water. I know this is probably an impeller problem but I lack the expeirence to work on an engine that old. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Soon I'll be able to go fishin' with the fellas! :D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

How long has she been settin "if longer than 6 months, impeller is a must"? Now the next thing, We can all see how long you have been a member and I/we all assume that with only 5 post, that you only ask for help and never give advice or help when needed! That is why no one is answering your question! We all believe in give and take and when you only take, we ignore you :D If I am wrong I will apoligize upfront "so please prove me wronge", If I am right, correct it by interacting with your fellow members.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

crabjoe, the reason I haven,t answered is because I know nothing about outboard motors.

wevans, aren,t you being a bit hard on crabjoe ? :o
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

no pumping water means needs a new water pump for sure nothing to rplace that on the older the motor easer too work on.......make usre you check the water tube for debree dirt dobbers get to everything...........
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

First, check all intakes and outlets for dirt dobbers. If you don't see anything clogging the wholes, go to a dealer and get an impeller ($10).

Take the four bolts out of the foot and two bolts out of the linkage arm. The foot will slide right off. Take the four bolts out of the water pump housing and slowly remove housing. Pay close attention to the impeller "fingers". You will want to make sure you install the new one just the same way. Old impeller slides right off the drive shaft and new one slides on. Replace cover and reconnect foot. You may have to play with the linkage a little to get F/N/R straight again. Make sure you connect the water pickup tube. This is also a good time to change the gear oil in the foot if needed. Replacing an impeller on an old OMC motor is easy. If you run into problems or plan to keep this motor working, pick up a manual on it. If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to help.

ST99
crabjoe
Site Sponsor

Post by crabjoe »

Thanks for the info Seatrout. I pretty much know about the impeller and dirt dobbers being a problem. The info is very usefull and I'll check into it. I don't often offer help unless I know exactly what I'm doing-Weevans that is why I don't post often. Your comment was totally out of line-if you knew me you would know better than to say those things. :evil: I try not to make suppositions about folks I don't know and neither should you. All that aside good luck and good fishing to you all.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

If you run into problems, shoot me an e-mail. I've kept a "58 and a "63 18 HP Evinrude running like a champ. I learned to work on them through trial-and-error, a manual, and asking alot of questions.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Wevans, Joe works too hard to spend much time on the forum. He is good people, I'll vouch for him. Even though he owes me money, I still think he's a good guy. :D

Until you know the full circumstances surrounding a formum member, please refrain from making snap judgements. I know you were half joking, so add more smiles next time.

Remember, this is not the FS Forum. Folks on here don't get flamed. Unless its by me! :D
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Hell, we all have bad days and I guess that was one of mine. As I stated in my origanal post "If I am wrong I will apoligize upfront" and I aparently was wrong :oops: I have a habbite of saying whats on my mind at the moment, and it some times comes out the wrong way or just totally wrong. If I ever meet-up with you Joe, I will gladly by you a beer and ask to be your friend :D Though I will warn you that I can shoot myself in the foot much faster with my mouth, that I can typing :D :D :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

wevans, you,re a good bloke, we all have bad days. :D :D :D :D
76carman
Site Sponsor

Post by 76carman »

I'll vouch for you even if you did threaten to tar and feather me when you caught me in Sopchoppy. :lol: :D :D

A handsome apology, worthy of the guy I really respect. Nice going
Is there intelligent life here?
tn.cain

Post by tn.cain »

I second (or is it third?) Cran and 76.

Just a bad day, Crabjoe. Come to the bash and meet some of us.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Yep, only two more weeks and ya'll get to see just how ugly I am :lol: :D :D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

You ain,t seen "ugly" till you see tn.cain :D :D :D :D

Just joking Tom, honest. 8)
tn.cain

Post by tn.cain »

True, Mr. Cran, but there is an up side to being so ugly.

It`s futile for me to try to impress anyone so I don`t even try.

Expensive clothes are of no help.

Women don`t bother me.

I don`t drink because I don`t want to see me the morning after.

This life ain`t so bad !!! 8)