SKEG GUARD - ROCK GUARD

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CROCKER

SKEG GUARD - ROCK GUARD

Post by CROCKER »

I HAVE ONCE AGAIN DAMAGED MY ALUMINUM PROP AND SKEG. I HAVE BEEN ASKING AROUND AND THE RESULTS ARE MIXED. SOME SAY THE ROCK GUARD PROTECTS THE SKEG AND ON SOME MODELS THE FOOT. THE OTHER SIDE SAYS THE SKEG IS THE WEAKEST LINK AND IS MENT TO BE BROKE. IF YOU PROTECT THE SKEG THEN THE FORCE OF THE BLOW IS TRANSFERED TO MORE EXPENSIVE PARTS. PLEASE ADVISE FOR OR AGAINST ROCK GUARD.
THE SAME MECHANIC TOLD ME TO USE A STEEL PROP INSTEAD OF THE ALUMINUM PROP. I WAS TOLD WHEN I GOT THE BOAT IF YOU ARE IN A ROCKY AREA USE THE ALUMINUM PROP SO IT WILL BREAK INSTEAD OF BENDING YOUR SHAFT. THE MECHANIC SAID IF IF YOU BENT THE SHAFT WITH A STEEL PROP YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT WITH AN ALUMINUM PROP AS WELL (THE HUB IS MENT TO BREAK OR SPIN).
THIS IS HOW I AM LEANING, JUST REPAIR THE SKEG WITH NO GUARD AND PUT A STAINLESS STEEL PROP ON. PLEASE ADVISE IS THIS A GOOD OR BAD WAY TO GO FOR OUR ROCKY ENVIRONMENT.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

The best thing going is a skag guard from wavel porters in woodville Fla he knows his bussness and will not lead you wrong
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Rock guard has saved my skeg on a many occasion. Just don't let it give you false courage when in rock country. A slow impact with it and you won't even get a scratch, versus possibly knocking your skeg off without it. You hit a rock going to fast, ain't nothing gonna save you! I have gotten my monies worth out of mine.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I highly reccommend one of Wavel's skeg guards and a stainless prop. Even with the skeg guard and stainless prop, I highly reccommend you heed Fish Masterson's advice. When you know you're around rocks, go slow. Not only do those rocks like lower units and props, they have a healthy appetite for fiberglass. If you're running, nothing is going to save your prop, motor, or boat. If you're going slow, the lower unit won't suffer nearly as much with one of Wavel's guards.

What was I supposed to do today?
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I've had one at Econfina for the last 6 years and i'm about the only guy with a skeg left ! :-D
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Tin Can said...
I highly recommend one of Wavel's skeg guards and a stainless prop.
I just have a better picture. :smt048 Waivel Porter will "custom" fabricate a skeg guard for your boat for a reasonable price and it will cost less than a new prop and allot less than a new lower unit. Keep it slow when you know you are in the rocks.

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

skeg guard

Post by Fisherman989 »

I have one of Porter's skeg guards on my 45 horse Honda for the past year.. It's been 100% satisfactory. The advice to go slow while around rocks can't be beat. I have tapped several rocks this past year...but with the skag guard and a stainless prop...and going slow. You can't tell it's ever been hit.
Get one. :D
bman

Post by bman »

Have any of you tried a Hydro SHield?
http://www.hydro-shield.com/

I like the design from Porter- I see how it protects the leading edge of the moter better.
But, the Hydro SHield seems like it would protect the prop better.

anyone have experience with the Hydro Shield?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Looking at the way the Hydro Shield is mounted, I would think you stand a good chance of losing your skeg and the Hydro Shield if you hit a rock. I would also wonder how preformance is affected if the mounting angle is slightly off.
What was I supposed to do today?
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

When I purchased my motor it came with a hydro sheild on it. It seems to work just like a dol-fin or any other fin designed to help get you on plane. I have been having trouble with my prop porposing or washing out so I took it off the last time out. It seems to run better and plane faster with the hydro sheild on and I feel a little safer running around in the rocks. I think if you hit something hard enough the hydro sheild would just rip off or apart before your skeg did. But I just go slow whenever I know there are rocks in the area, I think thats the best thing you can do to protect your motor. Gadgets are great but going slow is the best insurance. :thumbup: I do like the way Porters custom guard goes way up beyond the skeg, it seems to offer more protection and be sturdier than one that simply bolts on the skeg and everybody seems to swear by them.

And as a disclaimer my boat is a homemeade flat bottom with a tunnel hull. I have the motor mounted on a jackplate and am still adjusting the height. So I can't really speak for the Hydro Sheild in a normal situation. Mine is completely unique and I'm not yet sure what is causing the performanec to change, hydro-sheild or no hydro-sheild, higher or lower motor or if the water coming out of the tunnel is too dirty.

heres mine
Last edited by T Smith on December 5th, 2005, 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Over the past 3-4 years I've experienced having to replace a lower unit, and a bent prop shaft. I'm starting to get better at knowing when where and how to run to avoid the rocks but still manage to find one once in a while. I've had 2 aluminum props repaired as part of the learning. I've never had one spin on the hub even with some major impacts. I would not want to depend on a prop spinning on the hub to keep from tear'n something else up. In the picture below... I was traveling at 12 mph when that happened... The prop was repairable....the lower unit was not. Unless you just barely hit the top of a rock and break off the skeg...your going to stand a very good chance of hiting somewhere on the gear housing as well. I had pieces missing on mine. No way to know for sure but judging from the damage areas I believe a skeg guard "might" have prevented a lower unit replacement.

"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
bman

Post by bman »

I'm sold- What does one of Wavel's guards cost?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

buck seventy five, and up. cash is king though!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

The price you pay depends on the size of your motor and lower unit, and of course his hourly rate it takes to fabricate the guard for your unit. I would recommend pre-paying him in cash. It being Christmas and all I feel sure he would certainly appreciate your business. He is a hard working honest man and stands firmly behind all his work. I'll send you a PM....
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Just had one of Wavel's world famous rock guards installed on my outboard. Took it to him Thurs. at lunch and picked it up today at lunch. 100% satisfied with the quality of the work. Mr. Porter's a heck of a nice fella.

He said he could use the business, so if you have been putting it off now is a good time. He'll be busy as hell in a month or 2. Give him a call, you won't regret it.

Porter Marine
850-421-1490

Now if I could just find the time to test mine.