Newbie Introduction

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kregar
Site Sponsor

Newbie Introduction

Post by kregar »

Hi folks! I have been lurking here for awhile, but wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.. My name is Kregar.. I moved to Tallahassee on July 7.. I moved to Ochlockonee Bay in the middle of November.. I am failrly inexperienced as a fisherman, but am learning things everyday.. :o I am currently fishing off of my dock in the bay.. I have caught a couple of reds, a blue crab, and a trout.. Am looking for pointers and folks to fish with!

I have a lot to learn, but have learned a great deal since I have been reading these forums! I appreciate those of you who make this sort of resource possible..

Look forward to continued reading and learning...and fishin'!

kregar
:-D
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Welcome Kregar! :thumbup:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

sittin on my dock in the bay..
sounds like you should write a song...

welcome
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome kregar. How many folks would you say that dock will hold? :-D

Some of the most enjoyable times I've spent fishing, were on docks with good friends especially at night with some lights on. We look forward to hearing from you and we've found that we learn from new forum members more than they know so.... don't be bashfull. :D :thumbup:

Where did you move from?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome Kregar...

Do you own that brand new 100 yard dock that ends in a "T" right on the edge of that 30' hole in the eastern side of the river/bay south of the 98 bridge?

I might swing by one day in my boat and say Hey ...

:smt006
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome aboard Kregar :smt006 any place along OB with a dock is a good place to start fishing and really enjoy it :-D don't hesitate to tell us about your fishin or ask advice from the members :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
kregar
Site Sponsor

Post by kregar »

I don't own the place.. I rent it.. I really wanted to live on the water.. I was supposed to move into a place on Alligator Point when I first got down here.. But, 2 days after I arrived Hurricane Dennis Changed those plans! But, I am on Surf Road.. My dock was rebuilt, but power on the dock has not been replaced.. One of my team members at work is coming out to re-run the electrical line.. The light and T portion of the dock appear to be in great shape.. The walkway was eaten up..

The good news is being so close to Mashes Sands BP.. They seem pretty reliable in the bait department..

I want to go fishing with you guys.. I'll bring beer, and live shrimp.. Just want to get out and learn the area...

Can you recommend anything to fish with other than shrimp in the bay? I catch some reds, only one a keeper, but I let him go... A big blue crab and some small trout...

Thanks!

Kreg
kregar
Site Sponsor

Post by kregar »

I moved here from Atlanta, Georgia.. I was relocated here to open a retaurant for my company.. I may stay or may be moved late this next summer.. I am intending to enjoy this area to its fullest.. It is so danged beautiful... The sunsets are amazing..

I am taking some time off at the end of the month, so if any of you have trips planned from the 21st through the 29th.. I would be a happy fishing partner!

kregar
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

What restaurant?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

kregar
Site Sponsor

Post by kregar »

Ted's Montana Grill on NE Capital Circle..

kregar
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, Kreger.
What was I supposed to do today?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Welcome aboard, Kregar.

With a dock on the bay, the first thing you are going to have to get is a crab trap. I suggest the tall, four holer kind. Just tie it to your dock with a rope and pitch it in water deep enough to keep the crabs covered at low tide. The best bait is fresh heads left from cleaning the mullet you catch off your dock in your castnet. :-D
kregar
Site Sponsor

Post by kregar »

Ahhhh. Castnet fishing.. That is something else I want to learn... I was looking at some castnets... What size is best.. They seem to range from 3' to 8'.. Atleast where I was looking..

kregar
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

kregar wrote:Ted's Montana Grill on NE Capital Circle..

kregar
Been wanting to try it. I could just about throw a rock and hit it from my house. I'll have to come see you sometime.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Welcome Kregar! I'm sure livin' where you do, you won't have much trouble getting people to fish with you. You may also want to check out the North Florida Gulf Fishing Club link from the homepage and make sure to attend the BBF Social in Feb.. Several of us are members of the club and bunches of folks will be at the Social. That's how I managed to meet a few folks and you won't find an easier bunch to get along with. Just avoid that Tin Can guy, he's a troublemaker. :-D :-D
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."