Fly Backing??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Fly Backing??

Post by Littoral »

Hi All, Getting close to buying a fly set up. Question: when I read about backing my concern is about having enough of it (because I plan on needing a lot :wink:
If the specs say the reel holds 125yds couldn't I practically double the backing using braid? If that's true then I could go with a slightly smaller & lighter reel and still catch that big red.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Specifically, the Tioga 8LA or 10LA at this 10 mile long link:

link
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Lit, Is this on your tarpon rig??
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yes, you could use a smaller reel....depends on the reel and type of drag system it has....if it has a friction drag, the drag is proportional to the reel and it's weight.....That said...you can catch an elephant on a cane pole if you know how to play it... :wink: :lol:

I think the backing test also comes into play if your planning on doing any IFGA record breaking too.

Also think that a fly reel gear ratio is usually a 1:1 gear ratio or close to it...if you use 500 yds of braid for the backing and get a fish into the backing that's alot more cranks on the handle

simple answer yes.....But, I would go the other way :o ....buy a 9-10 wt reel and a spare spool and put 7 or 8 weight on it....This way you have a reel big enough to tackle a "Silver King" or chummed up AJs :smt007 :smt007
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Chalk wrote:....This way you have a reel big enough to tackle a "Silver King" or chummed up AJs :smt007 :smt007
Thanks but ya'll are just looking for something to laugh about after I try catch an Amberback with an 8 weight rod.
I have caught them (eventually) on topwater with undersized spinning gear though...
...and the TFO rods do have an unconditional replacement warranty...

Again, the issue for me is to try to stay as light as possible and accomplish the expected task. The biggest fish I expect to actually land is a 35-40" redfish, a big jack, or a real big spanish. Those aren't quite AJ's. A tarpon is enough for the brief thrill of a jump.
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

Go with the 10LA and buy an extra spool. Spool one with 20lb backing and a 7 or 8wt line. The other one, spool with 30lb backing and a 9 or 10wt line. Of course you'll then have to buy two rods a 7 or 8wt and a 9 or 10wt, preferably 4piece. This way you'll be prepared for what ever conditions you run across as far as wind and the size flies your tossing, ie. the more wind the heavier the rod your throwing plus it will give you a backup rod in case one breaks. As far as the amount of backing, we have very few fish up our way that will actually get you deep into your backing (Tarpon and Kings). The fight also is a lot shorter when using a flyrod due to the drag of the line in the water ie. you can land a 130lbs tarpon in about 30 minutes on a 12wt flyrod versus 1hr and 30 minutes on a 25-30lb class spinning rod. Hope this helps.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Very nice & thanks. I can't afford 2 rods now so my take on your post is that one set up with the 10LA will allow me more options in the long run.
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

Correct, it will allow you more options in the future... Also if your not dead set on that reel, there are several deals on ebay, the old Redington RS2's can usually be found on there for around $100, those were very tough reels. I still have one that I use on occasion and it has been abused and still looks and works like the day I bought it. Invest your money in the rod, but cast several before you buy. You mentioned TFO, those are very good choices. I happen to prefer the TICR models over their Pro models (I have both) for the conditions you'll face on the flats, the TICR models are stiffer which allow you to punch a fly into the wind a little easier. Also on the budget end of good rods take a look at Echo http://www.echoflyfishing.com.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Whats a fly set up ? 100lb line line an horse him in ! :-D
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

I HAVE CAUGHT MOST OF MY TROUT AND REDFISH BLIND CASTING INTO AREAS THAT I HAVE CAUGHT THEM BEFORE, VERY SELDOMLY DO I ACTUALLY SEE THE FISH THAT I AM TARGETING. I USE A 8 WT ROD AND REEL WITH 20LB DACRON BACKING. I WOULD SUGGEST GOING LIGHT AND LITTLE WHEN BLIND CASTING. CHUNKING THAT 10 WT ALL DAY WILL WEAR YOU OUT.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Hey Crocker, thanks but we were not discussing a 10 weight rod. The 10LA is a reel model for an 8 weight rod. :thumbup:
I am going to buy an 8 weight set up.
In fact, that's exactly what I'm on-line to do right now! :D
flyrodder

Re: Fly Backing??

Post by flyrodder »

Littoral wrote:If the specs say the reel holds 125yds couldn't I practically double the backing using braid? If that's true then I could go with a slightly smaller & lighter reel and still catch that big red.
use 20 pound dacron and try a large diameter spool for faster cranking :-)
If there is no fishing or dogs in Heaven, I want to go where there is!