Aucilla 1/16

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

Aucilla 1/16

Post by rocket »

Fishing partner calls me last night and says "got a new gps/depthometer we need to try out tomorrow, are you game?", to which I reply. "I'll see you at noon."
Upon my arrival my fishing partner states " the transducer holes didn't line up, but I JB welded the old ones. It's still a little tacky, so we'll have to keep an eye on any water intake. BTW the only thing not working is the bilge, but we can still go."
Well after spending two hours "unsticking" his frozen steering (first time boat has been run this winter) we are on our way. On the water a little after 3:00.
First stop was Pinhook, where I produced a 4.5 lb red. I checked the water intake, and noticed about 1/2 inch worth. We then found some pups, and proceeded to loose a lot of $ worth of tackle while catching three of them.
The bite turned off so we decided to move.
Moved into some creeks west of Pinhook, and caught three or four more. Water seems to be about 1/2 inch in the back of the boat, so we agree that is all it's going to leak.
Sun is getting low, and temp is dropping, so we decided to head to the honey hole for another keeper then head in.
On the way to the honey hole we bellyed up on a rock pile/oyster bar niether of us knew was there, and proceeded to stick the boat. All the rocking in the world would not get the boat off, so I grabbed the paddle, and pushed us off. When I sat down, I decided to check the water intake, and :o OMG it had quadrupled! After a quick "get this beeyotch to the hill" from me, my partner pointed it torwards the hill.
He hit the throttle, and the prop over spun :smt107 . My first thought was we were already to heavy to get on a plane. I was on the front of the boat trying to balance the weight, and he trimmed the motor down some more, and we slowly got on a plane. Thank God I thought to myself.
Needless to say running WOT on an outgoing winter tide back to the hill was a little hairy :smt088 , and my partner yells "you know this is not the place to be hauling a$$, I could destroy my boat!" I yell back "well we could ease back in, sink it, and destroy it anyway!"
I scanned the water for other boats, and of course we were the last ones out there, so I turned my attention back to looking out for rocks.
When we hit West Pass, I felt a little easier, but was still anxious to get back to the ramp.
Coming up the river, three boats were anchored fishing, and had safe passage blocked fron running. We had to slow to an idle (bad rocks!), and my partner tells me water is pouring in worse now! I'm starting to think we lost the plug, but at least there are other boats we can board if it starts to go down.
Needless to say we cut in front of the two boats at the ramp, and I put the trailer in the water. Once the boat is pulled out I discover the plug is gone :o ! I guess all the rocking around on that bar some how pulled the plug loose.
Water poured out for what seemed like thirty minutes.
I explained to the guys at the ramp the reason for cutting them off, and they were all very understanding. Partner had one of those flip up type of plugs, which I don't care for, but it's never been a problem in the past. I even remember in being flipped up the right way (torwards the sky) before launching.
All I can say is be careful out there folks. We could have spent a cold night, and while I dressed for the day, I wasn't for an all nighter!
Finally tally: 1 keeper red, 7 or 8 pups, and one angler glad to be home.
Anybody want to go tomorrow? :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've had those days.

These don't pull out. $5

What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I use these instead of the flip up ones :thumbup:

Sounds like an adventurous day :-D but ya'll did find some fish :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I have one of each of those, My bay boat has the one you showed TC, and my jon has the one like yours Wevans.
I've never liked those Flip-Up kind, even though you can tighten them up, I always worried it would catch something and come out.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Been there, done that, and have a -
plug like the one of these...
[img]
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/garborddp_f.jpg[/img]

Lookekd at my prop from 1/14/06 trip, and it is chewed up kind of bad...

Going for St. Marks today...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Good catch !
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
redfishhunter

Post by redfishhunter »

Rocket what color was the water west of the river. East yesterday the water was very dark.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Flats were darker than the creeks. Creeks were pretty clear, except for all the "mossy" grass that was floating.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

My plug pops out sometimes - I bought a garboard and you have re-motivated me to install it.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I have the pop up,but I install it from the inside. I also carry spares.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I have the pop up,but I install it from the inside. I also carry spares.
Always a spare "in my case two" :thumbup: I have a spare T type "in case I loose the one in it now, and a flip-up type for if I loose one while on the water "easier to install from the inside" :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I carry spares as well, hope fishing partner learned a lesson!!!
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Sounds like a load of excitement...the fishing probably wasn't bad either. I have a spare plug in the boat. I think you've inspired me to have two. :-D
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

tin can wrote:I've had those days.

These don't pull out. $5

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

sounds..... fun? was it knuckle head mike... :hammer:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »