Baitcaster vs Spinning -Which one?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Baitcaster vs Spinning -Which one?

Post by Littoral »

:smt062
At about age 4 I graduated from the ole 33 to spinning gear.
Since then, I don't seem to have had too much difficulty. :smt019
(Birddog & Jumptrout :D )
But hey, maybe the baitcasters are worth learning. The Texas inshore people seem to prefer them.
So, beyond preference, why use a baitcaster?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Baitcasters are great for people that can not catch fish. It gives them something to do while out on the water. (Untangle a mess).

:smt005 :beer:
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Beyond personal preference, I don't think there's a whole lot of advantages of one over the other.

I prefer baitcasters because the same weight oufit, say 12 lb., can be had in a smaller overall package than with spinning, because the reel sits right on the rod. But then, I also prefer shorter rods, too. With the exception of fly, none of my rods are over 6'.

While it's true that spinning allows throwing lighter lures with less problems, I feel that casting gives me more control.

Baitcasting is also more accurate when casting. With a little judicious thumbing and a little angle to the rod, a lure can be steered a little left or right after it's in the air. I've never heard of anybody that can do this with spinning gear. I can't.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

There are places for both. I carry both. For CT's I always use a spinner and a 7 foot rod. I defy anyone to cast further than I can with either spinning or bait casting.

For me personally I am much more precise with spinning than with bc. This is most likely because growing up spin was all I used for everything.

For walking baits and jerk baits I find bc preferable. I find that I get more tired using a bc all day and having both allows me to switch off. When I was big into bass fishing, all my bc reels were left hand retrieve so I didn't have to switch hands. Now its hard to find left hand retrieve anything so I just stick with right handed stuff.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Speaking of getting tired. Being a lefty, I use right handed baitcasters and left handed spinning reels also so I won't have to switch hands.

A baitcaster or spinning rod with a round grip will cause my left hand to tingle and go numb after a few hours. Baitcasters with pistol grip butts don't do this.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

As long as Daiwa makes the SS series in spinning only guess
I won't be taking along a baitcaster...
I like the variety of combos available with spinning outfits!

:-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I'm a firm believer in both for different situations. For that reason I carry some of both. My usual arsenal when fishing from my yak is two spinners and one baitcaster, but that changes some depending on time of year and targeted species. For throwing jigs and topwater baits I prefer a shorter(6'6") baitcaster with a light tip. This is also one of the few inshore combos on which I still fish mono. For spinners, braided line is the way to go.

Nathan
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

To each his own, but I prefer a baitcaster for several reasons.

Primarily cast control. I am much more accurate with the b/c. I also hate the line twist you get in a spinning reel. I've used them all and eventually you're going to get line twist no matter what reel/line combination you use.

I use topwater baits 90% of the time spring-fall and it is much easier to maintain the "walk-the-dog" action of a topwater bait with a b/c.

I prefer a 7:1 gear ratio reel retrieve and most spinning reels are 5:1.

Regarding backlashes, if you are backlashing your baitcaster, you either have a poorer quality reel or do not have the cast control set correctly. I may ruffle a few feathers but most times when I hear people complaining about backlashes, they are using an Ambassadeur or a lower quality reel. Abu's are notorious for backlashing, although I am interested to hear how their new reels with centrifugal brake cast control perform.

I keep a couple of decent shimano spinning reels on the boat, but I save them for women, kids, or anybody that doesn't fish very often. :wink: :lol:
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

I've always felt the drag on BCs is better especially when one gets a larger fish on. It takes less effort to throw that spinner all day long though. I haven't done enough topwater or other plug fishing for trout, but I plan to try a BC for that in the spring. I know one thing though, I won't try to throw a plug into the wind with a BC, even if it isn't an Ambassador!

Nuts
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

I kept hearing about all the problems using a bc when fishing a CJ and I couldn't understand the problems..

It wasn't until I had the old Ambassadeurs serviced and now backlash is a problem - they run too good now!

I guess I have to get re-proficient at 'em.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

If I had to choose just one outfit, It would be a 7 ft stiff, medium action rod with a stradic quality spinner with 30 lb powerpro and some good 20 lb flouro leader tied line to line :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

It all boils down to personal preference.I own 2 spinning rigs. They are for guests. I've been using baitcasters for 35 years.

Some good points have been made. If you're having a lot of backlash problems, adjust the reel. Even an Ambassadeur.

The quality of the reel makes a lot of difference. I've read all kinds of discussion, on this forum, about the quality of spinning reels. It's no different with baitcasters.

I won't say it is impossible, but it is very difficult to control a cast, after it is launched, with a spinning reel. As Charles stated, with practice, you can actually guide a bait with a baitcaster. And, you can stop it whenever you like.

I don't ever discredit what someone chooses to fish with. If you're comfortable fishing with what you have, go with it. But if you want to make the switch from spinning to casting reels, make the switch. I had a fellow forum member comment to me, within the last few days, he wanted to be able to throw a baitcaster well. I told him no problem. Fish with the baitcaster and leave the spinning reel at home.
What was I supposed to do today?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I carry both, but on most days I only use the bc. I get a lot more feel and control with my bc than with a spinner. Of course, I had my bc worked on and like someone else mentioned, I can't get it to stop backlashing now. Usually it is just an adjustment, but I have to really shut down the spool now to stop it and that reduces casting distance. I bought a new one for my next trip though :-D
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I tried one of the "super lubricants" on my baitcasters a number of years ago. That was a very short lived affair. :smt013

Had to break down every reel I put it on, strip all the lube out of it and start over going back to 3-in-1. I have found that petroleum based lubes make a happy, smooth reel. :smt045 Silicone based lubes have a tendency to allow the spool to spin wildly out of control, on casting, no matter how the brake is adjusted. :o

I've been using baitcasters about as long as TC has.
bman

Post by bman »

I have wanted to weigh in on this since the thread started.
First- I have lots of different kinds of rigs. Fly, Spin, Spincast and all sizes of bait casters.
I really do believe that there is a best rig for each situation.
Now for the irrational old school- I'll never change- part.

90% of the time I reach for the same two rigs. I have a very stiff sensitive graphite rod and a more limber graphite and glass rod- each with Shimano Bantam 10's or 100's on them. My dad got me a Bantam 100 baitcaster when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It was my first real reel! And He exhibited loads of patience while I learned to throw without backlashing.
That real, or its cheaper twin the Bantam 10, below, are my go to rigs in almost every situation.

I have caught innumerable Bass, Trout, Reds, Catfish, Spanish, Blue, and any other inshore fish in salt and fresh water on this rig. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs my reel- but I love it and it has never failed me.

Why is it my favorite- well it is light as can be- throws 70 yards easy with a plug, can handle a light jig with ease, has great drag to fight a big fish, works fine with Braid, Handles 10 to 25lb mono just fine, It is so light that I can cast all day with no fatigue,and feels right in my hand.
The other thing I love about these reels is that i can get them on e-bay for much less than the new hi tech stuff.
A Bantam 100 (the silver one) runs about $50 and the Bantam 10 runs about 25.
These were some of the first reels that Shimano introduced into the US market- after parting ways with Lews.
They are solid as a rock and stand up to all kinds of abuse.

I love my early 80's technology!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"