St.Joe Bay/Cape San Blas Fishing in June

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

A. Mulvey

St.Joe Bay/Cape San Blas Fishing in June

Post by A. Mulvey »

A friend of mine and his family and my family will be vacationing at Cape San Blas the second week of June. We have vacationed at the Cape a couple times in the past around March/April and had pretty good luck kayak fishing in St. Joe bay. Anyway, my questions are:
1. how's the fishing in June, and do we need to change our tactics?
2. We use the boat launch located on the bay side of the "stump hole" and I was wondering if it is still there after all the hurricanes?

Thanks, this information will help my friend get ready, he didn't do very well the last time he fished the bay. I think he has problems with his presentations, any thought? :beer:
Tight lines screaming drags!!!!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'd say the bay has been "off" for the last 2 years. I'd guess the issue is fishing pressure because it's gotten serious over there -although that wouldn't matter with the Spanish & they've been scarce too. Don't know. The stump hole is still there & that's a good area when things warm up in June. You might also look at Crooked Island by kayak. I've been considering that as well.
Hit the Oil Docks at night and at first light because that's a good spot for a lot of stuff. I like it at night because of the lights and all the other stuff you'll see. Big Big Tarpon have been consistent there the last few years.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Trout are usually good in June.

The only ramp I can think of that matches your description is the one at Presnell's and it is or was operative after the 'canes.
bman

Post by bman »

The ramp your are talking about is the hand launch on the bay side of the stump hole- Yes it is still there.

Try going off the state park and heading out toward the tip- there are spoil islands out there with great drop offs to fish.

Littoral is right that things have been off- the Red tide was nasty last year. I hope that is over. But I have still caught fish.

During the summer I like to fish early and late- that might be more about my tolerance in the heat than the fish.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"