Rigging Crawdads

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Billy Miller

Rigging Crawdads

Post by Billy Miller »

Where can I find crawdads? and, how do I rig them. I am still planning on fishing Wakulla River on Sunday. Looks like I will need live bait.
Thanks,
Billy
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

Was a guy on Geddie Rd. 90 West just before the river. He was on the left 1/4 mile off 90.
Or seine /net ditches in low lying areas along county roads. Look for little dirt mounds in wet areas.
Good Luck!
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

What you fishing for?

According to someone that lives on the river, the only thing you need is a yellar-n-black Snagless Sally with poke on it.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I don't fish with bait much, except under specific circumstances, but I would hook 'im one time, from bottom to top, through the tail, about 3 joints up, with a circle hook suitably sized to the bait. I wouldn't use more terminal tackle than that, and I would position myself "above" the peice of structure I wanted to fish and let the current carry the bait down. "Above" being relative to where you are on the river and what the tide is doing.

As far as catching the crawdads, I'm hesitant to recommend something I haven't recently tried, but the first thing I would try is what Grady said about checking flooded ditches along county roads looking for the little dirt mounds. I would try this at night with a long handle dip net, bucket, flashlight and rubber boots. :D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Here's a pretty easy, overnight way ta get ya some :-D
Crawdads have to be one of the best live baits around, but most bait stores dont have them. If you have any rivers, streams, flooded ditches, etc. that have crawdads will do just fine.
Get an empty jug about the size of an empty milkjug.
Cut the top off where you have a good size hole in the center.
Dig a hole in the ground and put the jug in it and smear mud around it so that it is even with the ground and put some meat in the jug.
Crawdads come out at night and will head to the scent of meat. They go in after the meat and they cant get out of the steep sided jug.
Never tryed it, but it sounds like it would work pretty good :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

Sorry, going to try and fish for bass. Will probably use the snagless sally, snaglass sallies work well on Lake Hall, so I'll probably try them on Sunday. Thanks for everything.
Billy
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

When i went on tuesday i caught one on a sally right above the lower bridge!
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

NOT HOOKING CRAWFISH

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

If you want to get the most action out of crawfish, don't stick them with a hook. Get a few bread ties from your wife and when you are ready to fish simply tie him to the bottom of the hook with his legs hanging down. Don't tie his tail, tie it between the tail and his head shell. That way he can flick the tail as that's how he swims backwards. The clicking of the tail will attract bass a mile away and they will hit it if they have a full stomach.
Don't tell anyone this secret.

See you on the water.

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
2true

Re: NOT HOOKING CRAWFISH

Post by 2true »

CAPTAIN CHARLIE wrote:If you want to get the most action out of crawfish, don't stick them with a hook. Get a few bread ties from your wife and when you are ready to fish simply tie him to the bottom of the hook with his legs hanging down. Don't tie his tail, tie it between the tail and his head shell. That way he can flick the tail as that's how he swims backwards. The clicking of the tail will attract bass a mile away and they will hit it if they have a full stomach.
Don't tell anyone this secret.

See you on the water.

Charlie

You TOLD Charlie!@

Anyway, I hear that you can get the crawdads with a castnet and the sheepsheads LOVE EM!

:smt006
bman

Post by bman »

WevansWrote:
"Dig a hole in the ground and put the jug in it and smear mud around it so that it is even with the ground and put some meat in the jug."
Sounds like a good way to catch a Coon!

I have caught them in a trap in the water- a friend made it back in High school.
It looked like a mini crab trap and we baited it with fish.

Another way to hold them to the hook- do just like Captain Charlie said but use a rubber band
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"