GPS Decimal Conversation page

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

GPS Decimal Conversation page

Post by Chalk »

I found this site tonight, handy site for converting decimal Lats/Longs....http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
Last edited by Chalk on February 27th, 2006, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

I use this one quite a bit:

http://jeeep.com/details/coord/ :thumbup:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yes...That's the one I use mainly...just found this one...note the link is for NAD27...I'm still checking into it , but I think Maptech is NAD27, which will make your numbers off in most GPS's.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk wrote:Yes...That's the one I use mainly...just found this one...note the link is for NAD27...I'm still checking into it , but I think Maptech is NAD27, which will make your numbers off in most GPS's.
Mapsource, and your GPS, can be set to any of about 200 datum. You need to know what datum you're going to input into your GPS, and set the GPS to that datum before putting the coordinates in.
What was I supposed to do today?
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Looks good to me. Bookmarked both- Now, if I can find em when I needum. :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

tin can wrote:Mapsource, and your GPS, can be set to any of about 200 datum. You need to know what datum you're going to input into your GPS, and set the GPS to that datum before putting the coordinates in.
I was stating that as if someone might think maptech is NAD83 and input those number, if you didn't know it was one or the other your numbers will be off....As I stated I think...but playing around last night with three different satellite sites, it appeared to be that way
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I was agreeing with you. I should add to my post that one must be aware of what datum the information you're using (Maptech, Terraserver...) is based on, and set your GPS accordingly.

I have also determined that if you're inputting numbers with your GPS set to NAD27, you need to set the GPS to NAD27 to navigate to those points.

That said, the default setting for most GPS units is WGS84 (NAD83 and WGS84 are virtually the same datum). Most of the GPS mapping software is based on WGS84. If you already have a bunch of points in your GPS based on WGS84, set your GPS to NAD27, and input coordinates based on NAD27, now you have points in your machine on both datum. There is roughly 1/4 mile difference in the two datum.

I could go on with this, but I'm sure I have confused things enough. :roll:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:o :o :o I think most of us on this site understand that when it sounds like Chalk and TC are disagreeing.... they'r really agree'n :roll: :smt014 :smt005
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Anybody ever suggest a NFGFC meeting about this topic...maybe someone from West Marine or the always knowledgable TC could school us on these finer points of GPS use??
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

here is a question for you all.

If you have numbers in one format and you change your GPS to that mode and enter them. Does your unit correctly convert them when you change the unit back to a different format?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CROCKER

GPS

Post by CROCKER »

JUST A THOUGHT, I HAVE DONE A LITTLE SURVEYING AND I COMMUNICATE WITH SEVERAL SURVEYORS. SURVEYING GRADE EQUIPMENT WILL GET YOU WITHIN MILLIMETERS OF THE TRUE POSITION ON CERTAIN DAYS DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION AND AVAILABILITY OF SATELITES. THE OTHER DAY I WAS TALKING TO A SURVEYOR AND HIS POSITION WAS 4' OFF BECAUSE OF BAD SATELITE CONFIGURATIONS.

IF HIS EQUIPMENT FROM GERMANY AND SWITZERLAND COST $50,000 AND IS OFF BY 4', HOW FAR OFF IS YOUR EQUIPMENT FROM CHINA THAT COSTS $400? ?????? 500' ?????? IS THAT NAD 27 OR WAS83

HOW COME THE LORAN SIGNALS ARE STILL BEING TRANSMITTED? MAY BE BECAUSE SOMEONE KNOWS HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO OBTAIN SUB METER ACCURACY.

GPS IS NICE BUT LORAN IS LOT MORE CONSISTANT.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

A discussion on Datum would be very interesting.

I experimented with switching between WGS84 and NAD27 on the water. And I can't answer the question about what happens internally in a GPS.

Crocker, the $50,000 stuff gives you accuracy to +/- 0.005', if used properly. Your $400 unit, if WAAS enabled, gives you +/- 10' accuracy.

Now, lets discuss LORAN.

LORAN is not really that accurate. But it is repeatable. Radio signals from the LORAN towers get distorted by land masses, buildings, and other obstructions. That said, if you plot your TD's on a map, the point might not be exactly where you plot it. But, if the LORAN signal warpage is consistant, you can go back to that same bottom structure every time.
It also depends on where you are in the grid. LORAN is using an ARC/ARC intersection. The closer your point of intersection angle is to 90 degrees, the more accurate the reading. As that point of intersection angle widens or narrows, the accuracy decreases. Also, GPS updates much faster than LORAN. You can be well past your point before LORAN updates to tell you you've passed the point.

LORAN is still active because the Government made a commitment to keep it active until, I think, 2008. After that commitment is met, if a LORAN tower goes down, it will not be repaired.

I'll keep my GPS.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

That's why we get concerned with what datum we are using....if you input NAD27 into a NAD83, your gonna be twice as much off...My stuff from China has been precise enough for me.

LORAN is on the table to be axed from the Homeland Security Bill last I heard, probably not being used 2% of what it was 10 years ago and cost several million dollars a year to keep up.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

All this highly sophisticated talk of datum, intersection angles and Chinese GPS and I can't spell decimal in the title.... :smt005 :smt005 :hammer: :hammer: :smt011
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If your machine is like mine it converts them automatically.