Keaton Bch ?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

Keaton Bch ?

Post by dewyafish »

Anyone heard any reports from that area?
If the weather holds I'm thinking of taking Auston Saturday.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
JimR
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach report for Oct. 17,18,19.

Post by JimR »

Dewya : Wife and I went down Thursday, spent a few days. Thursday (when the cold front blew in ) Windy , very choppy, water temp 70 deg. Caught a few short trout , no keepers. Friday winds calmed a little, caught 6 keepers to 20.5 inches, couple sea bass. Saturday a lot of short trout, 1 keeper, 5 sea bass, 3 spanish macks, . Keep in mind I'm new at this and really good at it but most people I talked with didn't do much better. I think the sudden drop in water temp. kinda gave 'em lockjaw. Should be better this weekend. Never know if ya don't go !
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks Jim.
I'm with you. I've never caught anything in the recliner watching football :D
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Dewey, I've never been to Keaton Beach. Do they have grass flats and trout there? Judging from the dot on the map I'm guessing there is not much in the way of Motels and Restaurants?
Ken
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

We used to stay at the Keaton Beach Marina, but there are several other places from what I understand. KBM was nice and convienient. Check this out. Maybe it will help.

http://www.keatonbeach.org/

ST99
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

KenK : There isn't much at Keaton. There is a hot dog stand that has fast food and a convenience store that sells chicken, sandwiches etc. . We have stayed at KBM and a place called Captains Quarters. Both are about the same price, both run by real nice people. I have a number for CQ at home if you get ready to go I'll post it.

By the way, my message said I was new at this and really good at it. Meant to say NOT really good at it. I still have a lot to learn, didn't mean to sound like a blowhard braggert. Sorry 'bout that. :(
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

We always drove over to Stienhatchee to eat at Roy's at night, but I've heard conflicting reports lately about Roy's. Maybe someone has been there since I have.

ST99
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

KEN,Not a whole lot I can add to what everyone else has said.

I use Keaton Bch Marina because of the people there.
The store is well stocked with tackle and they have some live bait.
I always file a float plan with them because I've heard that if you aren't back at the expected time they will send someone looking. That's a whole lot better than waiting until after ark for a search to begin.
They also have a lift if you need it.
Acommadations are adequate and inexpensive.
If you see a post by a guy in VA called The Remnant, he is the son of the owners. All good people.
fish_n_grits

Post by fish_n_grits »

went the 27th just south of big grassy island, caught 4 keeper trout(released about 25 small trout) 3 keeper blacks and a nice blue fish. Hung what we think was a very large spanish mackeral which took at least 75 yards of line before straightening out a treble hook on a top dog surface plug, had to be a hell of a fish to do that.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

I've never had a spanish run like that. Think bigger, it was a Cobia. :wink:
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Motel at KBM runs 49 a night. Comes with a wet slip too. The lift cost me $8 for a 22 foot boat. No I don't get a cut for them haha. I just go there alot and like the people that run it. They are fair with their prices. Compared to $20 for in and out at Steinhatchee.. I fish on a budget so $13 dollars saved on a launch is money spent on bait and snacks :lick: for the snacks not the bait..
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Well I fish on a budget to, so the public launch price is much better.. FREE.. :D
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Keaton has one of the nices boat ramps around good parking and wide ramps and the best thing its free and I don't have to be back before the lift closes to load your boat......
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I agree about the free part. What damage does the saltwater do to your trailer? I was always told if you put your trailer in the water you can plan on replacing the wheel bearings (and everything els that isn't aluminum or galvanized) in about a year. Is that not the case? How do you prevent it? Even if the surface is painted a chip in the paint will allow for rust in a short time. Maybe there is a trade off. Any opinions on this?
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

well if the bearings are packed right in a waterproof grease then you got nothing to worry about on the bearings they should even be safe from the air and dirt road grime........if you wash the trailler down as soon as you can with fresh water that will help their.......when you wash the boat make sure you use soap water on the trailer as best as you can......rinse good and let dry before you cover it or put in garage ect........I do this about 4 times a year I take some diesel fule and thin it down with light oil or something to thin out the fule spray this all over the trailer at least once real good I do it a few times I miss alot of spots......lol again let it dry good this will prolong the life of the trailer......one more thing I put down paper or carboard down so the drippings don't get into the driveway or the ground........one more thing I pull my boat a lot sometimes I do my bearring at least once a year.....if you see any scaring on the berrings then you need to replace the bearings and the races make sure the seal is not leaking for this could be trouble down the road.....you get any kind of water on the bearings you got trouble I guarantee that for sure.....
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels