Poling the Flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dr. Jones

Poling the Flats

Post by Dr. Jones »

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about buying a pole for my little flats boat. I don't want to spend much money and am wondering what works best. Any comments are appreciated.

-Bill
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Push-Pole

Post by Apalach »

Hey Bill,
Make your own out of SCH40 3/4 inch PVC. Then slap a Florida Sportsman “LawStickâ€
Last edited by Apalach on March 10th, 2006, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Bamboo or a wood dowel is free or almost....some have used PVC but I wouldn't for real poling, too dangerous...

You can get a fiberglass Stiffy for around $300.00
I believe a kevlar Stinger is around the same money, a little lighter though....Stiffy Hybrid will run you around $500 - $600 weighs 3.1 oz a foot...

If you thinking about doing it, your choice of pole will determine if you stick with it or not....I'm trying to save up for a Stiffy Hybrid myself

Some others to look at:
http://www.stiffypushpoles.com/stiffymenu.htm
http://www.polecatpushpoles.com/
http://www.biscaynerod.com/catalog/push ... hpole.html
Build your own....
http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prodd ... Pole%20Kit
bman

Post by bman »

Chalk-
What is dangerous about PVC??

mjsigns uses one and describes it here
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... Lowe's+pvc

I was thinking about building me one off his design.

Not trying to pick a fight :smt006

Just wondering why you wouldn't use one.
Enlighten us oh Chalky one.....
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

BMan I used a 13/4" PVC And on the btm used a double Y and then run shorts lenth of pvc off that with caps
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Have you ever shattered a PVC pipe from bending it?...I have...The motion of real poling puts your bodies momentum towards the pole, if it shatters, you stand the chance of getting stabbed or falling (either out the boat in the boat)....My comments for are for "real" poling....pushing the boat around here there and yonder as Mr. Signs described in his post is not what I call poling. If your just gonna use it to push the boat around a little PVC would be okay, not for poling on a poling platform or extended periods of time...

I wouldn't do this with PVC pipe:

You couldn't do this with PVC, it's to flimsy

My comments are based on the Dr. Jones wanting to pole the flats, PVC doesn't cut it for poling, if it did there would be no need for $500 plus push poles
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'm gonna jump into Chalks mess... :oops: I agree with him. :o Depending on the schedule you use (160, 80, 40, etc), the pipe size, the length of pole you create (shorter is better) and the craft your going to be polling, PVC can be dangerous (IMO). Any material can be dangerous if enough stress is placed on it as a push pole. PVC could very well work for a YAK or something light. As I reported, from last weekend, I busted/shattered a push pole in 3 pieces trying to move my 19ft Carolina Skiff off some soft bottom. The pole was probably 14ft, wooden dowel (closet rod material) showed no previous signs of damage , rot, etc. very substantial but I was obviously frustrated and really put'n some heave on it! There is no way on God's green earth that a 3/4 inch PVC push pole would have survived as long as the wooden pole that I had for 3 years. If I were to construct a PVC pole strong enough to use in my boat, the diameter would have to be so large that it would take two folks to use it. Now a short (8 or 10ft 1 1/2 dia) PVC pole MIGHT work but anything longer would be taking a real chance. Certainly a pole long enough to use from a polling platform would have to be something other than PVC for my boat. I built swimming pools for several years in central florida and I've been around PVC pipe more than some I guess. I've seen shipments of small diameter pipe received that turned out to be brittle(defective) enough where you could drop a 20 ft piece from head height onto a concrete floor and it would shatter. That's why a fiberglass push pole is so expensive.... not my area of expertise but may not even be fiberglass.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Yep--Chalk's second pic above gives new meaning to the art of push-poling. Poling your wife or girl friend around while she dries her bra, errr I mean swim suit. ;-)

BTW, have any of you guys ever tried strengthening a PVC pole by inserting hardwood dowels, solid aluminum stock "dowels", bamboo, or a smaller diameter PVC pole? Seems like a little reinforcing would go a long way towards reducing the chance of breaking a single PVC pole. But if all else fails, you could always buy yourself a kayak for the $500 cost of one of those super-deluxe push-poles, and mebbe still have some change left over to buy a new lightweight rod/reel rig to use in it on the flats. :-D
Dr. Jones

Thanks

Post by Dr. Jones »

Gentlemen,

As usual, you all have been very helpful, despite the fact that you disagree on the specifics.

I am inclined to go the PVC route because I do not intend to do much real poling. I have a small 14 ft tri-hull Prosport with an old Johnson 40 HP on it. No poling platform. I usually drift on the flats or use a trolling motor in the creeks. I just want something to get myself away from weeds and to get out of the LH canal when the tide is really low. I can't see needing anything longer than 10 1/2 ft, so I am thinking PCV might be the way to go.

Thanks again!

-Bill
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Dr. Jones (was nice meeting you that day in W-mart) You should have no problems with using 2" SCH 40 PVC for your push poling your boat. Save your $$ and start with a 12' of 2" SCH 40 PVC with a "T" on the end.

I've never had one break or even crack. Don't listen to Chalk.. He don't know what he's talking about. He's into sun dresses and those kinds of things... one poling. And I speak from two years of experience using one. :wink:

You couldn't do this with PVC, it's to flimsy

My Humble Opinion: That's a bunch of Bull, I've applied more pressure than that and expected it to shatter, and it has never happenned. Remember we talking 2" SCH 40 PVC and nothing less.

MJ
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

MJ,

Thanks! I will give it a try. Like I said, I don't plan to use it, except when I have to!

Now, if this weather would only break so I can get out there....

-Bill
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

I found a nice stand of large dia. bamboo, works great, when it dries its lite enough to pole for extended periods, and they are FREE and STRONG
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

I have to agree with Chalk as well. For light pushing PVC may be ok but I'd go with a light strong sho-nuff push pole for poling around where you need several feet of pole.
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

mjsigns wrote:My Humble Opinion: That's a bunch of Bull, I've applied more pressure than that and expected it to shatter, and it has never happenned. Remember we talking 2" SCH 40 PVC and nothing less.

MJ
How long is your pole Mr. Hidden.....there no way you can exert the same amount on pressure as what is exerted on a kevlar, graphite or fiberglass pole....If it was a bunch a bull then everyone would be spending less than 20 dollars for a piece of PVC pipe now wouldn't they and there would be no need for push poles that cost up to $1200....Key word is poling and push poles, taking a piece of pipe and using it to push off of bar is not poling.

Let me see you take your piece of pipe and do this...

I have used them all wood, bamboo and PVC, I speak with over twenty years of experience....There is a difference between a push pole and boat pole, your using a boat pole which PVC is fine, you get over 10-12 foot which what a push pole is and PVC won't cut....Your entitled to your humble opinion and so am I, YFOS, stick that in your PVC pipe and smoke it
Last edited by Chalk on March 10th, 2006, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Thanks

Post by tin can »

Dr. Jones wrote: I usually drift on the flats or use a trolling motor in the creeks. I just want something to get myself away from weeds and to get out of the LH canal when the tide is really low.
Bill, it has been my experience that if the lighthouse canal is too shallow to use my trolling motor, or the outboard, tilted up, the boat is gonna drag bottom. If the boat is dragging bottom, it's gonna take some UNPH. I'd be leary of the PVC. Just my opinion, though.
What was I supposed to do today?