Leaf springs

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AJ
Site Sponsor

Leaf springs

Post by AJ »

Looks like I'll be replacing the leaf springs on my boat trailer soon. Is it worth it or should I just start looking for a new trailer? I know how big a job it will be, I just don't know the cost. Any suggestions on where to buy the parts?
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

Capital hitch would have the springs and new hardware. The most difficult part will be removing the old hardware unless you have access to a torch
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Might also call Coastal Trailer in Medart. Cheaper to replace the springs vs. a new trailer by far.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I don't have a torch but I have a sawzall. Wait, one of my neightbors has a torch. I just need someplace to get the boat off the trailer.
arcadiainc
Site Sponsor

Trailer rebuild

Post by arcadiainc »

Just rebuilt my trailer about six months ago. Went to Mid South Distributors (MSI) in Tifton. Bought two springs, bearings, seals and u-bolts for less than $75.00. Had no idea it would be that cheap. The job turned out very well. If you are around Tifton give MSI a try.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Rebuilt one of my trailers a few months ago. Coastal Trailer built me a new axle, and sold me new springs, U-bolts, bearings, and all other necessary hardfware for $132.

No need to take the boat off of the trailer. Block the trailer up. Pull the running gear out from under it, fix it, and put it back.
What was I supposed to do today?
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I replaced my leaf springs and various u-bolts last summer. Next time around I'll take it to a shop.
devans850
Site Sponsor

Post by devans850 »

Just rebuilt my trailer and got all my parts from coastal trailer. Word of advice if you are goin to do the work yourself better have a torch and a jack. It's not that bad all in all, just jack the trailer up, cut the shackles, the u bolts, and the spring where it connects to the top shackle on the trailer. It will all fall off just like that. Don't try to cut the bolts off on the top shackle on the trailer, cause you will cut the shackle and that's not good. I replaced my springs in about 1 hour, it's not bad as it seems. If you want to do it yourself PM me and I will explain it better for you to make it easier. I can tell you this without a torch it will be HELL.
JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll attempt it later. Right now there are fish to catch and I'll just hope it doesn't break before summer :roll: .
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

If you don't have a torch, a 4" right angle grinder with a cutting wheel will work.
What was I supposed to do today?
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Pennfish called me today and said I could use his torch whenever I am ready to do the job. I just need to get the parts ordered.