Kayak Floatilla Trip #2

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Kayak Floatilla Trip #2

Post by Apalach »

Billy Miller wrote:
“How about Wakulla Beach for the next trip. We have a good tide on Sunday April 9th, low tide around 7am, with a high tide in the early afternoon.â€
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

The site has been quiet for a couple of days. I'm back from out of town, Dick, I will be there on Sunday, better yet. Let's meet at Savanah's Rest. for breakfast on Sunday at 7:00 am. Bakertize showed me that place. How bout it guys, and gals.

Billy
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Billy,
Sunday, the 9th works for me. Will see ya at Savannahs at 0700. Been wanting to eat there anyway--seems to be the go to place for all the boatfishing folks. Anyone else? Come on down...
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

The 9th works best for me. I'll have relatives in town the following two weekends.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

BTW, this may be the post about Wakulla Beach that Litt referred to earlier--good info here about the area, plus a map.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... ulla+beach
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I'm fishing Jacksonville April 9th on my way down from VA, I'm Still up for April 15th if anyone cn make it then too. I look forward to meeting you all and learning new waters.
brew2

Wakulla beach trip

Post by brew2 »

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am an avid sailor who has
just recently gotten into fishing with my 11 ft. canoe.Its very tender
and I am just now getting used to it.Over the last month,Ive been
all over the fishing grounds.Wakulla Beach,river,St,Marks river.
All to no avail.One of your members,Barker turned me onto you alls
web site and I need advice. If you can put up with a slow canoesist
vs. yak. I look forward to the trip. Thanks a lot. Paul / Brew2
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

It's cool, Brew2.
I canoe too. :-D

Hey guys, I can't promise I'll make breakfast, but I can be at Wakulla Beach by whatever time ya'll are planning on getting there.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

I am an avid sailor
Welcome aboard brew2--you're more than welcome to join us. BTW, what do you sail? I am just getting backinto sailing again myself--kayak sailing, that is. It is a real blast. I have two Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks that you can paddle, pedal, or sail. I have yet to try sailing and fishing on the same trip--I think that would task my multitasking skills more than I want to think about at this point! But I do know of folks who sail 8-10 miles to their fishing spot, fish for several hours, and then sail back again. Here's a pic of my Hobie Outback rigged for sailing.

Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

That would work great trolling for mackerel. :D
geezer

Hi Guys

Post by geezer »

Dont know about the 9th yet...but in any case wont make the beach until
about 9:00...dont wait, we'll find you. 15th is a go, but probably not the
16th...also might change at the last min.

Billy...site has been quiet...I think I wore everyone out :-? But I have my
next thousand questions ready to go if someone turns me loose.

Welcome Brew2...these guys are great with newbies.

Grt WB info from Littoral, Apalach...tks to both.

A kayak sail....hoodathunkit.

Bob
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

When I was little, Granpa Pulley had a sailboat that he made. Much like today's SOT kayak, it was little more than a big, hollow core, plywood, surfboard with a sail, rudder and dagger board on it. He made all that, too.

He used to use it to troll for Spanish off Live Oak Island back in the '60's with spoons and dusters that he made from hollow core, nylon rope and egg sinkers. Did pretty well, too. he used to come in with biiig Spanish and the occasional king and cobia. :D
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Your Granpa sounds like he was a real craftsman! One thing nice about the Hobie pedal yaks is that the Mirage Drive pedal unit makes for a great trolling "motor" as well, so you can use either that alone, or the sail and the pedal drive together to troll. So far, I have found that the pedal drive alone works fine as a trolling motor and picked up a 3-4 foot shark and a moray eel trolling over the reef edge offshore from Dania in the open Atlantic back in December. Had several other strong strikes also, but they kept cutting me off, so I don't know what they were. I was using ¾ oz bucktail jigs with two stinger hooks inserted in dead ballyhoo over the reef edge. On the return to the launch site, I was bookin’ and picked up the shark on a red circle hook and a single conventional stinger hook on a steel leader with a Haywire twist and a dead finger mullet for bait. But they still kept hitting me just above the swivel on the steel leader. Lots of fun until the swells picked up to +4 feet and I had to beat a hasty retreat about 2-3 miles back to the launch point, and then do a stern-first return thru about 4 foot surf in my 9 foot Hobie Sport. Made it successfully, but it was a bit hairy in such a small yak!
Bakertize
Site Sponsor

Post by Bakertize »

Yea guys, I should be there (0700 at Savanas) for $ 2.00 breakfast then off to Wakulla Beach for some fish'n :smt065

thanks Apalach for starting a tread on this trip.
I've been real busy here at the river renting canoes and Kayaks and haven't had time to even look at the computer for more than a second.

look'n forward to fishing with some of the newbee's jsuber, geezer, and brew2 y'all come on out
Charles if ya need a ride to savanas sunday morning give me a call.
Robert Baker
TnT Hide-a-way inc.
http://www.tnthideaway.com
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Robert,
Been wondering where you was! Figured work must be getting in the way of what's really important! Glad you will be able to join us--I'm really looking forward to it. See ya at Savannahs.
Dick