Alligator Point - Offshore First report

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point - Offshore First report

Post by fish finder »

Got a late start Sun. but managed to get underway about 9 am. Stopped off at Dog Island reef to load up with pinfish went to check some numbers in close (35-40 ft) since water temp had dropped some since my last trip. Not much showing up on the bottom reader so went on out to 60 ft. Although NOAA bouy was reporting 2 ft seas, it was 3-4ft with 15kt wind most of the day where we at. Not bad, but I sure like those 2 ft days. Decided to hover instead of anchoring and hit two numbers with about the same result. Still throwing back about 5 shorts for every keeper at this depth. Didn't want to run any deeper given the late start, so ended the day with 7 or 8 keeper gags and picked up one 30 inch kingfish trolling stretch 30 on the way in, in 45 ft. Back at the marina about 4:30. Not a bad day for late out and early in. I've been hereing reports about grouper limits in 30-40 ft, but I still think you got to get to at least 80 ft to catch more keepers than shorts. Light winds and calm seas, Capt Jay
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Sounds like a good day to me! Live baits for the gags?
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Live baits

Post by fish finder »

Live bait is still the bait of choice for grouper, especially pinfish, probably for about another 3 or 4 weeks depending on the water temp. I fill the live well each trip until I can't catch them any longer. Usually, that's around the end of Nov. The good part about that is that once the live bait is no longer around, trolling for grouper because much more productive. Try it you'll like it. Capt Jay