Wakulla Beach on Sunday April 30th

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Billy Miller

Wakulla Beach on Sunday April 30th

Post by Billy Miller »

How about we try another group trip on Sunday April 30th. I suggest we meet at Savanah's at 7:30am, have some breakfast, have a small re-intro meeting, and discuss again what we would like to accomplish as a group. After our small meeting, I say we head to Wakulla Beach and fish the incoming tide. I would like to discuss some one day trips, St. Joe Bay, St. George Island, and Hagan's Cove, to name a few. Once again, not looking to get too formal, no dues, no tournaments, just a group that wants to fish. If anyone has any other thoughts, please jump in. I will see you at Savanah's, Sunday April 30th.
Thanks,
Billy
ben

argh!

Post by ben »

I will be in Miami that weekend! How about this Sunday? The weather looks good. 75% sure I'll be in the St. George area. Anything going on this Sunday?
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Billy,
Sunday, April 30th sounds good to me--I will try to make it. Might even be a few cobia around by then--would love to tie into one of those babies from a yak--talk about a sleigh ride!! Hope to see a few of the other yakers at Savannahs and/or W.B. also.
Best,
Dick
BlueDrifter

i am in

Post by BlueDrifter »

I'll be there unless I work.

Anyone know anything about Sand Beach near the East River?
RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

OK, let me potentially sweeten the pot! My family will be going out of town that weekend, so I have an automatic and full "kitchen pass" for Sunday, April 30!

Who wants to see Ron's maiden salt voyage?!?! Yup, this will be my first foray into the salt via plastic (My kayak. Hehehehe.)

Can someone please help me out with some directions and advice for the trip. Need to know how to get there. Never been to W.B., so assume I know nothing. Also any advice on bait will be good. Anything else I should bring other than the usual sunscreen, safety items, etc.?

I'm not totally new to fishing the flats, but I'm an extreme novice at it. I'll be leaning towards DOA shrimp, tipped with frozen shrimp, under a Cajun Thunder unless anyone has other guidance.

I'll be going out on a friend's boat on Saturday. He's actually a very knowledgeable flat fisherman. We'll be launching from the Fort. Hopefully that trip will give me some insight into what's working and I'll share that Sunday.

Can't wait!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

OK Ron, here ya go:

I also posted an open invitation on KFS in the Florida Forum to anyone in the South Georgia/North Florida region to join us at W.B. on 30 April. Might be interesting to see who, if anyone, gets wind of our group that way and shows up.
Dick
RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

I can't wait!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'm trying & will be there if I can make it. I'll update later this week. :thumbup:
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I can make it on the 30th, but I can't promise I'll be at Savannah's. What time do ya'll think you'll get to Wakulla Beach, 'bout 8:30?
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Charles,
0830 to 0900 seems reasonable--it all depends on how long it takes Billy to finish his coffee! :-D Actually, the tide will not be low (at St. Marks anyway--who knows about Goose Bay?) until 0953 (low of +1.6 ft). We are between a spring tide (new moon) and a neap tide (quarter moon), with no minus tides during the daylight hours at this time of year anyway, so there should be plenty of water for a launch without the accompanying mud slog.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I've found that there's not a whole lot of practical difference in forecast tides for Shell Point and St. Marks River Entrance, so either of those will work for Wakulla Beach. :D

Went today. Put in at Live Oak Island at 9:30 and limited out on slot trout by 11:00. If they're there and agressive enough for me to catch 'em, anybody can. I'll post a full report over in "Inshore". :D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I have my 6yr old Sun and I'll use my canoe with her if the wind cooperates but so far:
SUNDAY
SOUTHWEST WIND 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
PROTECTED WATERS CHOPPY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.
:smt012
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Hmmm, if it's lookin' like that I might walk in to West Goose Creek and wade.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Charles wrote:Hmmm, if it's lookin' like that I might walk in to West Goose Creek and wade.
... was thinking that too, and at least do breakfast :thumbup:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Not a bad idea at all--been wanting to do that over on the west side anyway. We shall see... :D