Anyone fished Piney Z Lake lately?

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Anyone fished Piney Z Lake lately?

Post by wevans »

I have a good friend who hasn't fished in 10 years and would like to fish there :-D She said it will probably be another 10 before she goes again and would really like ta catch a fish :o and she fishes live bait only "Bas, bream, catfish" just something to pull the line :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MamaK

Post by MamaK »

My dad says he doesn't think they allow boats in there now, however there are walkways all around the lake and he knows that they did restock the lake with fish several years back. He said call the City of Tallahassee (Parks/Rec I guess) since the city takes care of it now.

P.S. My dad, mom, myself, Tom, and many other relatives and friends caught a many a bream from Piney Z in the 80s! :lick: :thumbup: Memories, memories....
dave7

Post by dave7 »

I know the fisheries biologist for that lake and he say's that the bass stock is improving in there since the draw down and muck removal of a few years ago. It's a hot spot with local fisher folk, with people on the banks fishing every evening. Their are signs up and I believe that all black bass must be released, so pay attention. :thumbup:

RE: MamaK - The Piney Z Lake is an FWC Fish Management Area with regulations that differ from other regional lakes. The land around the access through the neighborhood is managed by the City of Tallahassee. As mentioned before, check the signs. Technically I think fishing licenses are required, even if you are bankfishing. Ya might want to check on that. Boats are allowed - hand launch only and no combustion motors allowed. I've put my canoe in there and seen plenty of small boats with 'lectric motors. I heard that during one of fish surveys in the '80's a 10 lb bass was pulled out of there... Right now you'll definitely find some +20 lb carp :)
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
MamaK

Post by MamaK »

Thanks for that info about the lake. I was just repeating what my dad thought so forgive me for not quite getting it right. We haven't fished there for years (about 10 I guess).

For the next social I will try to round up some of the pictures of the boatloads of fish that my dad and his legislative friends caught out of Piney Z in the 80s. They used to go fishing during the session and have cookouts on the shores of the lake.

Piney Z was a special place for us. Many afternoons we got off work at 4:30 and loaded up the boat for a fishing trip out there. What fun we had!

Maybe we'll have to give it a try again sometime soon.
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

I have fished it recently from a kayak, caught one small bass. Bass must be released immediately. No motors allowed, they do have a kayak gravel launch which is very nice. Problem with the launch is you must carry your boat, canoe, or kayak approx. 120 feet to the landing. There are 6 or 7 finger piers that you can fish from, so a boat is not necessary. I hope this helps.
Billy
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Thaks all :thumbup: :thumbup: I'll pass this along to her :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I haven't fished it since last fall. However, I fished it several times last fall and this is what I have learned. Numbers of bass aren't great, but if you put in your time and catch one it will be fun. I was only averaging about a fish every three trips, but most were between 4-7lbs. I have had decent luck with a black spoon, standard silver/black rapala, and texas rigged plastics worked slowly. Watch out for the gators; anything worked on the top won't last long.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Preciat it SB :thumbup: :beer: