Weird bottom machine problem.

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Weird bottom machine problem.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

A friend of mine has a Lorance LCX-18c and when the boat is running or underway the screen is scrambled but as soon as you shut off the moter it clears up. Any ideas????? :smt102 The boat has a 302 inboard.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Define scrambled.
Does it do this with the motor idleing, or just when the boat is moving?
What was I supposed to do today?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The overlay depth stays correct but the depth on the screen may go to 2000' and you can't see enough detail to make out the bottom contour or fish echoes. Makeing it impossible to pinpoint the structure you want to anchor on. :smt013 Heck you couldn't even see the yamaha when we ran over it. Maybe a filter or something might help? Oh' and yes it does it while just idleing.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I gather from your reply, this occurs at idle speeds. If that's the case, I would look at the routing of the transducer cable. If the cable is close to the ignition system on the motor, you'll get interfereance. If moving the cable doesn't solve the problem, look into installing a noise suppression condencer on the engine.
What was I supposed to do today?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I would also look to be sure the spark plugs are the resistor type, and the wires are in good shape. Also, check all ground cables to be sure they are good and solidly connected.

Hooked :thumbup:
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Sounds like a bad ground to me too.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Installed an inline filter and one of those magnet chokes like on computer cables. Ran it in the yard before and after big difference in the clutter on the screen. :thumbup: We will put in new resistor plugs before a water test, but I think its taken care of. :-D Thanks