St George 5/13 - Offshore

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoachDitka

St George 5/13 - Offshore

Post by CoachDitka »

Went down Friday night so we could get an early start of it on Saturday. We popped down to the cut when we hit the island on Friday to see about catching some pinfish for the morning. Got about 25 or so, and tossed them in a bucket with a bubbler. When we woke up we had lost about half, so not too bad. We picked up about 15 more, and decided we had better head out as I had to be back in fairly early for a family dinner. Launched at the cut and headed out about 10 miles to a spot we had continual luck on last fall, and the luck continues. Had a grouper or snapper hit every bait we lowered, and we managed to fill the cooler with about 6 keeper gags, 3 snapper, and some trigger fish we caught after we ran out of pinfish.

The bite seemed to shut off around noon-1ish, as there were TONS of fish on the screen, but nothing taking any sort of dead baits, not even triggers or small snappers. All-in-all it was a fantastic trip, with the only down point being the third member of our group that lost about 8 rigs. No matter how many times I told the guy to crank it up a bit off the bottom, he just would not listen. He paid the price with only 1 grouper boated. I also lost my first anchor!

Anywho, this was my first trip out since last years red tides, and it appears our spot was unaffected, as I was marking more fish that I have seen yet in our limited number of offshore trips.

Here was my cut of the loot:

-Coach
Last edited by CoachDitka on May 19th, 2006, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good catch :thumbup: some folks just will not listen.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Way to go Coach! :thumbup: The offshore reports have been kinda thin lately. Good to hear a nice sucess story. Looking forward to the pics. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Just to verify that is not a spot we use...what were those numbers again?

Hooked :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

HookedUp wrote:Just to verify that is not a spot we use...what were those numbers again?

Hooked :lol:
Absolutely, wouldn't want to crowd around that place, so help me avoid it as well :-D
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Give me the numbers and I will get your anchor back! :lol:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

SWEETTTTTT :thumbup: Now ya just gotta start postin a little closer to the catchin date :-D :smt004 :beer: