Do you actually use your VHF?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Do you actually use your VHF?

Post by fishinfool »

I am fortunate that my hand held has a 10 hour battery life. It also has a scan function that allows me to monitor 6+ channels. Consequently I leave mine on in order to monitor channel 16 for emergency purposes as well as weather and chatter channels. It has been useful. I can be found either Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting around the Palmetto Island area. Give me a shout on channel 9 and we can trade some lies.
FF salute1
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We will probably start out in Piney Island, around Middle Point, then ease over towards Smith Island "probably hit Ty's favorite Oyster bar before going on to Smith" :smt004 :-D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

wevans wrote:Sweet lookin place :thumbup: :thumbup: I refused ta get on facebook for years :smt012 and now you got me in :smt010 You gonna have a VHF with ya this weekend :-D I don't gots no cell phone :roll: :beer:

Thanks, Its a fun place too.

I just started Facebook, kind of, The last two weeks I have been checking it out closer. Still have problems driving it though.

Try me on the VHF I may be around. If I'm not fishing I will have it on the golf cart.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I saw the mention of " The box at 18" and figured you were going to the Open and had really good seats.
Lat/Lons of said "box" as well as location of keys to the door and the liquor cabinet please :thumbup:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

wevans wrote:So, it's there for if you need help, but off in the event that someone else may need help :smt012
When I need help on the water I call someone whose job it is to help me (marina, tow boat... they get my $$$).

Other than that; the 25,000,000 "radio checks" and other mindless drivel forces me to turn the thing off. It got to the point where the VHF sounded like my office telephone somehow got on the boat with me. In the 2.5 seasons where I had it on constantly I never once heard a call go out that was even close to anywhere I could get to.

What I did hear constantly was "what time is it?"; "how big does a spanish need to be for me to keep him?"; "is that you over there offshore of me?"; "I thought you guys were grouper fishing today" and the rare but very exciting franklin county dog hunt
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

I always get a radio check to make sure the VHF is functional if I go offshore any distance. Otherwise, I almost never use the transmitter, but do monitor 16 at all times for the reasons weavans mentions. The inane, background chatter doesn't really bother me that much as long as the volume is at a reasonable level.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

ordered a Standard Horizon GX1500S and a shakespear 5225tx with stainless swivel base. Should get here in a week.
850-273-8818
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I may check the weather on mine but that's about it.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I have a rechargeable portable that I always keep on. I have a cell phone, too, that I do most of my talking on. It would be fun to promote a VHF St. Marks finshing channel to easily get updates from fisherman in the area. I'd love to know everyone on the water is having same bad luck (preferably good luck) that I'm having.
The Back Porch
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Checked out channel 27 the other day. Pretty cool. :thumbup:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

I do keep mine on at all times just in case.

I am curious as to what channel everyone is on. I think it would be great if there was one channel that we all knew to be on.

What say you???