Tarpon

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Re: Tarpon

Post by bman »

flyfishguy wrote:Silverking, didn't know i was treading on "your" water, maybe you should enlist the help of your carpet bagging skiff guides to remove whatever's stuck up your A$$. The word on the street is your the go to guide in town, guess i know who not to call.
Dude for real? Overact much? :smt017

And the rest of you wonder why politics is off limits :smt094

And seriously... all about a fish you cant eat ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

noleflyfisher wrote:Aahhhh, poon season is upon us. :D
It can't get here fast enough.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

never really tried to catch a tarpon but it's seems like shooting skeet, You can't eat'em ? And everyone on here knows that all the water belongs to JT. Did I just witness the birth of a TROLL ?
kirt

Post by kirt »

Seems you have witnessed just that Gulf Coast....
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

Our local tarpon sight fishing is so ruined by out of area guides now it's not even worth trying to do it.

Silverking is a good local guide. Never hear any complaints about him, it's all the guys that travel from all around to here that are the aholes, I could name a few from Destin.

There is just not enough room on the two spots for all the people.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

It was fun when we started. Just a few locals who had little clue of the storm on the horizon. The first couple of years we called each other on the phone to share info, met out there at 11:00 AM cause that's when you could see, rotated around so everyone got a good shot, and thought the fish where only here the week of July 4th. The salad days for sure. Captain Dave and I pioneered the Alligator Point deal and I have to admit I did a few doughnuts around a couple of guides who thought they could pull in front of me and push me out of the way. When it degraded to having to run to your spot in the dark and then sit there for 6 hours until the tide was right I decided it wasn't any fun anymore.

As with all things when there is money to be made civility goes out the window.

But.........man it used to be fun. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Flats Hopper

Post by Flats Hopper »

No, it's not fun anymore, or at least getting in that particular mix isn't. But, every year I still manage to find some lonely water with a few high and happy fish. Not enough to get a total fix, but enough to partially satisfy. You can bet I'm not calling anybody with that info, except maybe Silverking. :-D
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

rockyg wrote:It was fun when we started. Just a few locals who had little clue of the storm on the horizon. The first couple of years we called each other on the phone to share info, met out there at 11:00 AM cause that's when you could see, rotated around so everyone got a good shot, and thought the fish where only here the week of July 4th. The salad days for sure. Captain Dave and I pioneered the Alligator Point deal and I have to admit I did a few doughnuts around a couple of guides who thought they could pull in front of me and push me out of the way. When it degraded to having to run to your spot in the dark and then sit there for 6 hours until the tide was right I decided it wasn't any fun anymore.

As with all things when there is money to be made civility goes out the window.

But.........man it used to be fun. :)

I've witnessed the doughnut thingy. That is fun to watch. You guys are gonna scare this dude off.
ReefDonkey

Post by ReefDonkey »

The very first time we visited the area about 6 years ago, we were staying inside Alligator Bay and tried fishing Turkey Point. It's the first point west as you come out of the mouth of Alligator Bay. There are several sand bars there and the guides were anchored up. You can see the bars/islands on Google maps if you go to the satellite image. We saw a number of large tarpon jumping, chasing bait, and causing a lot of commotion in that area. We hooked one on an artificial swim bait and it was lights out in a millisecond. Pretty cool to watch a jet airliner jump completely out of the water within 30 feet of your boat going 100 mph. This was in the middle part of June, I believe. I know nothing about tarpon fishing as we are usually targeting reds/spanish/trout/blues/flounder, but they are there are certain times of the year. Good luck.

Coach
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

There are poon at many other locations than just between Al. point and west pass. But if you want to chase them in 2'-3' of gin clear water in an almost classic "Keys" fashion there are only a handfull of areas to do it up here so get in line and take your turn or find you're own new water. I personally would recommend the Spring Creek/Shell point area.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Barhopr Thanks, there are none there only rednecks and mullet skiffs with knifes and guns and crab traps and all other sorts of bad things !! :-D
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

flyfishguy wrote:Silverking, didn't know i was treading on "your water, maybe you should enlist the help of your carpet bagging skiff guides to remove whatever's stuck up your A$$. The word on the street is your the go to guide in town, guess i know who not to call.
You obviously have never met Silver King. Probably one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Always gives to the foram with advice and tips, he gives away his knowledge on here for free. AND he doesn't have to he does it because that's just who he is.

Do yourself a favor and PM him and work things out, you'll be glad you did.
Lawsup

Post by Lawsup »

Hey guys, New around this forum and glad to be a part of it. lots of great info.. Any who i am from the jacksonville fl area and i have been doing a little weeked fishing around appalach with my grandfather and we have not been catching a dang thing! I want to get on some tarpon but seems as west pass is full of dang catfish and sharks. I know the locals dont want to give away their hotspots "dont blame them" but any info to trout reds and trpon would be GREATLY appreciated. :smt006
Pumpin'Gas
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Have you been trying the West Pass for Tarpon? Historically good down there. I haven't been down there this summer though. Have seen several showing off this summer at the east end. As far as the trout and reds the fishing has been way off this summer due to all the rain/wind/storms. For the most current info stop by Fisherman's Choice in East Point. They can tell you the latest. Overall the bay has been way off this year. Fish can be caught but just different than normal.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!