Electronics for new boat?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CarolinaJim

Re: Electronics for new boat?

Post by CarolinaJim »

I'm partial to HB 998 SI, if you go to artificial reefs it make sit much quicker to find structure. I also have the gps with heading sensor so my screen never flops around. The Lowrance HDS touch seem nice, you do have to install 2 transducers and it does not come with the side scan transducer unless you buy the bundled option. If you go lowrance also get the new point 1 gps puck with heading sensor.

My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

CarolinaJim wrote:I'm partial to HB 998 SI, if you go to artificial reefs it make sit much quicker to find structure. I also have the gps with heading sensor so my screen never flops around. The Lowrance HDS touch seem nice, you do have to install 2 transducers and it does not come with the side scan transducer unless you buy the bundled option. If you go lowrance also get the new point 1 gps puck with heading sensor.

So is the HB just using side imaging or does it use down imaging as well? Seems like it would be important to see what is directly below your boat as well as the side images.Sounds like from what I have read about the two, if you go with the Lowrance and add the second side imaging transducer you would have the best of both?

Ryan
Ryan Newsome
Superior Precision Rifles, LLC
www.superiorprecisionrifles.com

Nothing Less Than Extreme Precision!
firefish

Post by firefish »

You may look into a refurbished Garmin unit these have done me well for years. I run a combo and carry a handheld back up. I find the charts for Garmin superior and can be bought cheap, I run a G2 vision card its pretty impressive. I will say Garmin's bottom machines are not the best but they get the job done. Good luck with it :)
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

The HB does normal sonar as well as SI and DI. The lowrance has a dedicated DI crystal in its transducer so generally regarded as better than HB in that image only.

If you run right over the top of something with di great you see it, but what if it is 46 ft to the side, like in the picture? With DI you would not have seen it.

I just happened to only be using SI and chart view in the snap shot. I could view SI,DI, and 2d sonar all at once if I wanted.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

Badbagger wrote:Lowrance HDS Touch Series... just bought one. It's going on the boat in a couple of weeks. Down & side scan with sonar... made by Navico who also makes Simrad.
So, you bought the "Bundle" with everything?

HDS-7 Gen2 Touch
Touchscreen Fishfinder / Chartplotter

Insight USA + 83/200 kHz & StructureScan HD transducer 000-10778-001 $1,799
Ryan Newsome
Superior Precision Rifles, LLC
www.superiorprecisionrifles.com

Nothing Less Than Extreme Precision!