Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BayGator

Re: Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

Post by BayGator »

charlie tuna wrote:
BayGator wrote:I rarely keep any fish of any kind or size, but when I do I don't want to be bashed, nor does anyone else on here I am sure. No threat taken, just tired of seeing people dragged through the mud over a damn fish.
Bay Gator,
No one bashed anyone in the original post "Mr. April' , maybe you should read it? You left out a word in your above comment! It should read "just tired of seeing people dragged through the mud over an "ILLEGAL" damn fish. Trying to justify ANYONE catching illegal fish on a sportsfishing forum is plain and simple wrong.
There is plenty wrong going on here for sure.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Guy's lets be up front about the problems with today's tournaments ---- TOO MUCH MONEY. Years ago, most of the tournaments gave out trophies, and the tournament was a fund raiser for a great cause! After the awards ceremony, guys would take some pictures, shake hands and start talking about "next year's tournament"!! I have seen, and heard enough about these big money tournaments, to know i do not want to participate. I'll stick with having a few fishing buddies all launch at the same time and have a tournament among themselves -- WINNER buys the beer at the end of the day! And the theory of everyone is "conservation" -- not "boat limits" vs "individual limits", or my ruler is longer than the tournaments rule, etc..
cotton

Post by cotton »

While we all are entitled to our opinion, only one group can participate in both types of tounament(kill, photo) and still remain true to their convictions.

I've never seen a photo tournament that excluded folks from keeping their catch
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

All the photo tounaments i have seen, promote "catch and release" but it is optional and anglers are allowed to keep their LEGAL limit if they so desire.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I debated about even posting on this but it was really bothering me so here ya go. I think good conservation is a wonderful thing to preserve the reseources for our children and their children. (I feel so strongly about it that if that means I have to totally quit fishing/hunting then I'm willing to do it if that's truly what it takes.) I also believe that catch and release is a wonderful thing if that is what a person chooses to do. However, I feel strongly that a person is entitled to catch and keep if it is legal to do so. I hope that people will only keep what they need and eat what they keep but that's not for me to judge. I also believe that the best way to get someone to do something they are not legally required to to is to persuade them of the merits and benefits not criticize and belittle them for doing what they are legally entitled to do. And, I think that equating adultery with keeping a legal limit of fish is just way out of line. My 2-cents.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

RedMann wrote:I debated about even posting on this but it was really bothering me so here ya go. I think good conservation is a wonderful thing to preserve the reseources for our children and their children. (I feel so strongly about it that if that means I have to totally quit fishing/hunting then I'm willing to do it if that's truly what it takes.) I also believe that catch and release is a wonderful thing if that is what a person chooses to do. However, I feel strongly that a person is entitled to catch and keep if it is legal to do so. I hope that people will only keep what they need and eat what they keep but that's not for me to judge. I also believe that the best way to get someone to do something they are not legally required to to is to persuade them of the merits and benefits not criticize and belittle them for doing what they are legally entitled to do. And, I think that equating adultery with keeping a legal limit of fish is just way out of line. My 2-cents.
:thumbup: :thumbup: ...ESPECIALLY the last part..... can we get a "bitting my tongue" face?
cotton

Post by cotton »

RedMann wrote: I think that equating adultery with keeping a legal limit of fish is just way out of line. My 2-cents.
Even I would have to give a thumbs up to that.

Just wanted to point out the silliness of someone saying "legal equates to what is best".

I chose some poor examples. I will save the hundreds of better examples for another time.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

In my experience there are many more lookers and lurkers on an internet forum that there are posters. I sat idly by for months while thread after thread on here consisted of boast of maximum number of fish caught, limits for everyone on board, and fish reluctantly released with complaints about an over-bearing government intrusion into our right to fish how we want. That is one way to fish. That is one way to conduct yourself.

There is also an alternate way of fishing that many experienced anglers practice. You set out with the main goal of enjoying the experience, you show respect for nature and your fellow man, take home only what you know you can and will eat, and let most of the big ones go back and make lots of babies. That kind of fishermen is MORE impressed with a picture of a huge fish you caught and released, than a pic of it curled up in your cooler.

I just wanted the non-posters..... perhaps the less experienced folks on here to know that it's ok to be that second kind of fisherman. That you don't have to follow the crowd. That it's ok to keep just what you need and let the rest go back to breed. That you can measure a successful fishing trip in more than just inches and pounds.

The only person on here I ever directly criticized was the guide in the picture posted on this forum holding an illegal dead gator trout with his pocket bulging with his tournament winnings. That has not stopped many of the more insecure folks on here from calling me a long and illustrious list of derogatory names. (which roll of me like water of a ducks back) But that's OK, I already have plenty of friends..... and a long history of standing my ground. I'll be in Lanark most of the summer, if you are fishermen type one, stay out of my holes. If you are type two stop by and say hello anytime. :smt006

And....I wanted to fish this Yac Tournement but I learned about it too late. I already had plans to take the wife over to Dog Island on Saturday. I do have a new to me Malibu Stealth 14 and plan to hang with the plastic navy boys asap. :smt004
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

rockyg wrote:In my experience there are many more lookers and lurkers on an internet forum that there are posters. I sat idly by for months while thread after thread on here consisted of boast of maximum number of fish caught, limits for everyone on board, and fish reluctantly released with complaints about an over-bearing government intrusion into our right to fish how we want. That is one way to fish. That is one way to conduct yourself.

There is also an alternate way of fishing that many experienced anglers practice. You set out with the main goal of enjoying the experience, you show respect for nature and your fellow man, take home only what you know you can and will eat, and let most of the big ones go back and make lots of babies. That kind of fishermen is MORE impressed with a picture of a huge fish you caught and released, than a pic of it curled up in your cooler.

I just wanted the non-posters..... perhaps the less experienced folks on here to know that it's ok to be that second kind of fisherman. That you don't have to follow the crowd. That it's ok to keep just what you need and let the rest go back to breed. That you can measure a successful fishing trip in more than just inches and pounds.

The only person on here I ever directly criticized was the guide in the picture posted on this forum holding an illegal dead gator trout with his pocket bulging with his tournament winnings. That has not stopped many of the more insecure folks on here from calling me a long and illustrious list of derogatory names. (which roll of me like water of a ducks back) But that's OK, I already have plenty of friends..... and a long history of standing my ground. I'll be in Lanark most of the summer, if you are fishermen type one, stay out of my holes. If you are type two stop by and say hello anytime. :smt006

And....I wanted to fish this Yac Tournement but I learned about it too late. I already had plans to take the wife over to Dog Island on Saturday. I do have a new to me Malibu Stealth 14 and plan to hang with the plastic navy boys asap. :smt004

If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so dang good? Do you blacken your tofu?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Very good post and to the point "rockyg"!!!

Reel Cowboy wrote "If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so dang good? Do you blacken your tofu?

We tried the "Reel Cowboy Method of Conservation" --- It didn't work!! Sportsfisherpeople should(?) be interested in fish conservation to make it better. Conservation works if people follow the laws. Eat all the legal fish you want Reel Cowboy and future generations will enjoy the same fun you had fishing...
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

charlie tuna wrote:Very good post and to the point "rockyg"!!!

Reel Cowboy wrote "If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so dang good? Do you blacken your tofu?

We tried the "Reel Cowboy Method of Conservation" --- It didn't work!! Sportsfisherpeople should(?) be interested in fish conservation to make it better. Conservation works if people follow the laws. Eat all the legal fish you want Reel Cowboy and future generations will enjoy the same fun you had fishing...
So, the things we have been doing have worked well enough to double the take on redfish, remove a closed month on seatrout & has the fishery in a better place than it was 10 years ago. But it didn't work? How do you measure success?
Now, I've never been a smart man so please enlighten me. Just sounds like it worked & now you've got nothing else to do but complain.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Reel Cowboy wrote:If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so dang good? Do you blacken your tofu?
Nobody suggested you shouldn't eat fish or keep you limit. I keep fish almost every Saturday. I'm only feeding 2. So my limit usually consist of a few under-slot trout, or 1 redfish, or 8 panfish(my favorite). Yes, no legal redfish would ever be considered a trophy.

Last year, I estimate I caught at least 2000 fish I could have legally harvested. I probably kept less than 200, mostly panfish, and none were close to a trophy. I try to eat fish every Sunday.

I'm just saying; some fish are far more valuable in the water than on your plate.

Most other outdoor pursuits have embraced the idea of quality management. What makes public fishing, and saltwater tournaments, so special that it ignores what has become an accepted best practice.

Hunters have embraced selected harvest of deer. Private land owners often cull inferior genetics and leave trophies until they have had several years to reproduce.
Private lakes do the same for whatever species they cherish the most.
Bass tournaments bend over backwards to not destroy a lake with a big tournament.
But for some reason, saltwater anglers, and many public lake fishermen believe killing every trophy fish they catch is a good idea. I just don't get it.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

cotton wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so dang good? Do you blacken your tofu?
Nobody suggested you shouldn't eat fish or keep you limit. I keep fish almost every Saturday. I'm only feeding 2. So my limit usually consist of a few under-slot trout, or 1 redfish, or 8 panfish(my favorite). Yes, no legal redfish would ever be considered a trophy.

Last year, I estimate I caught at least 2000 fish I could have legally harvested. I probably kept less than 200, mostly panfish, and none were close to a trophy. I try to eat fish every Sunday.

I'm just saying; some fish are far more valuable in the water than on your plate.

Most other outdoor pursuits have embraced the idea of quality management. What makes public fishing, and saltwater tournaments, so special that it ignores what has become an accepted best practice.

Hunters have embraced selected harvest of deer. Private land owners often cull inferior genetics and leave trophies until they have had several years to reproduce.
Private lakes do the same for whatever species they cherish the most.
Bass tournaments bend over backwards to not destroy a lake with a big tournament.
But for some reason, saltwater anglers, and many public lake fishermen believe killing every trophy fish they catch is a good idea. I just don't get it.
And what, pray tell, gives you the almighty right to tell law abiding citizens that they should be scolded for keeping fish they are by law allowed? Now, a guy drags (15) 14" trout to the cleaning table, look down your nose, call the FWC and do your duty. But to look down on a person or try to tell them should not have kept what they are legally entitled to & you have what we in Texas call a mud stomping coming your way.
Texas has some of the largest trout caught every year and you are allowed 10 per person per day. By your rationale, there shouldn't be a dang fish left since the 30" breeders are gone every year.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Reel Cowboy,
Please show us a post on any of the recent posts saying ANYTHING about reducing ANYBODY'S ability to keep their law abiding limit of fish? What they do in Texas has NOTHING to do with what the law says here in Florida. Trying the "as you say" good ol boy method to justify any Floridian from killing an over the "individual" limit of sea trout is wrong. The damage is done, get over it, but i hope someone learns from this. Sports fishing people are the first line of defense protecting our fisheries, and publically justifying killing illegal fish shocks me????
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

charlie tuna wrote:Reel Cowboy,
Please show us a post on any of the recent posts saying ANYTHING about reducing ANYBODY'S ability to keep their law abiding limit of fish? What they do in Texas has NOTHING to do with what the law says here in Florida. Trying the "as you say" good ol boy method to justify any Floridian from killing an over the "individual" limit of sea trout is wrong. The damage is done, get over it, but i hope someone learns from this. Sports fishing people are the first line of defense protecting our fisheries, and publically justifying killing illegal fish shocks me????
If you're not promoting releasing over slot trout, I guess we speak different languages.
I've learned something. I should have never checked on this forum. It's sad what it's turned into & how people like you are what's wrong with the world today. So tied up pointing the finger at others & building yourself up to be better. Watch out for the pride before the fall.