Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

Post by captkeyser »

WOW!

I think the idea for all of us to consider is that, yes, there is a limit set by our area and we have every right to to keep up to that limit, but maybe we should sacrifice here and there (not saying ya don't, just a general thought). Yes, we have had an increase in limit of Redfish and a month in the year to catch trout, but that is BECAUSE of conservation. How much better COULD our fishery be if we made a small step further, in the direction of what we all want. The best possible fishery! I just think there is something to be taken from this discussion rather than just clashing.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a good debate, but the "watch out for the pride before the fall?" Whatchu talkin Willis? Ain't gotta get that deep. :smt018 :smt006
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

rockyg wrote:In my experience there are many more lookers and lurkers on an internet forum that there are posters. I sat idly by for months while thread after thread on here consisted of boast of maximum number of fish caught, limits for everyone on board, and fish reluctantly released with complaints about an over-bearing government intrusion into our right to fish how we want. That is one way to fish. That is one way to conduct yourself.

There is also an alternate way of fishing that many experienced anglers practice. You set out with the main goal of enjoying the experience, you show respect for nature and your fellow man, take home only what you know you can and will eat, and let most of the big ones go back and make lots of babies. That kind of fishermen is MORE impressed with a picture of a huge fish you caught and released, than a pic of it curled up in your cooler.

I just wanted the non-posters..... perhaps the less experienced folks on here to know that it's ok to be that second kind of fisherman. That you don't have to follow the crowd. That it's ok to keep just what you need and let the rest go back to breed. That you can measure a successful fishing trip in more than just inches and pounds.

The only person on here I ever directly criticized was the guide in the picture posted on this forum holding an illegal dead gator trout with his pocket bulging with his tournament winnings. That has not stopped many of the more insecure folks on here from calling me a long and illustrious list of derogatory names. (which roll of me like water of a ducks back) But that's OK, I already have plenty of friends..... and a long history of standing my ground. I'll be in Lanark most of the summer, if you are fishermen type one, stay out of my holes. If you are type two stop by and say hello anytime. :smt006

And....I wanted to fish this Yac Tournement but I learned about it too late. I already had plans to take the wife over to Dog Island on Saturday. I do have a new to me Malibu Stealth 14 and plan to hang with the plastic navy boys asap. :smt004
So your comment about fishing back in the day with the "true legends of the sport" was not a derogatory jab?? Got it. Hey everybody lets all load up and go to Lanark and get on bended knee and kiss the water that Rockyg floats on. Praise him for being a true legend of the sport and thank God almighty we have fish to catch and release today because of him. This is the most ridiculous load of bull%^$# I have ever read. Once again I am all for conservation and keeping the fisheries healthy, but the bashing of other fisherman is a shame.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Ahhh how I long for the good ol days, when bashing politicians, not fellow fishermen, was in style.

Each thread poster is entitled to their own opinion and their own way of harvesting (or not harvesting) of fish. I use the term WATSOD when talking about differing (usually controversial) issues with my family, friends, coworkers, etc. We Are The Same Only Different.... Before we get too heated, we find at least one common thread and work from there. Examples: Pro-Choice vs Pro-Life (both sides don't want women to have unwanted pregnancies), Gun Control (both sides want less gun violence), Immigration (both sides want productive US citizens). Those are the barest-bottom level commonalities for the previous examples, there are tons of legal and emotional factors to each of those issues, but for having a healthy discussion that doesn't turn folks against each other, they offer starting points that each side can fall back to when the discussion gets too emotional.

Instead of concentrating on the differences between us as it pertains to fishing, let's concentrate on what we have in common and go from there. We all love being out on the water fishing and we all want a viable fishery stock that will allow the legacy of fishing to continue for generations. If you think maintaining that fishery stock can be accomplished by having catch/release tourneys, great.... If you think that maintaining that fishery stock can be accomplished by following the laws enforced by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, great.... In the end, the two sides want the same thing and the two sides share the same passion for fishing. Keep the dialogue open and respectful, concentrating on the goals of enjoying your time on the water and ensuring that the fishery stock is viable for generations to come.

I'm not saying that my WATSOD approach is right or wrong, I'm just saying it's worked for me continuously when the topic at hand had the opportunity to turn confrontational.

Just one man's two cents.

Yall have a good one,

Scoop
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Scoop Sea wrote:Ahhh how I long for the good ol days, when bashing politicians, not fellow fishermen, was in style.

Each thread poster is entitled to their own opinion and their own way of harvesting (or not harvesting) of fish. I use the term WATSOD when talking about differing (usually controversial) issues with my family, friends, coworkers, etc. We Are The Same Only Different.... Before we get too heated, we find at least one common thread and work from there. Examples: Pro-Choice vs Pro-Life (both sides don't want women to have unwanted pregnancies), Gun Control (both sides want less gun violence), Immigration (both sides want productive US citizens). Those are the barest-bottom level commonalities for the previous examples, there are tons of legal and emotional factors to each of those issues, but for having a healthy discussion that doesn't turn folks against each other, they offer starting points that each side can fall back to when the discussion gets too emotional.

Instead of concentrating on the differences between us as it pertains to fishing, let's concentrate on what we have in common and go from there. We all love being out on the water fishing and we all want a viable fishery stock that will allow the legacy of fishing to continue for generations. If you think maintaining that fishery stock can be accomplished by having catch/release tourneys, great.... If you think that maintaining that fishery stock can be accomplished by following the laws enforced by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, great.... In the end, the two sides want the same thing and the two sides share the same passion for fishing. Keep the dialogue open and respectful, concentrating on the goals of enjoying your time on the water and ensuring that the fishery stock is viable for generations to come.

I'm not saying that my WATSOD approach is right or wrong, I'm just saying it's worked for me continuously when the topic at hand had the opportunity to turn confrontational.

Just one man's two cents.

Yall have a good one,

Scoop
Agree. Well put Scoop!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

When does possesion actually take place? When the fish comes out of the water or when it's hooked?
If it starts when the fish leaves the water, then CPR tournaments are probably killing as many big trout as anything else. According to Pat McGriff and quite a few other respected guides, most big trout won't survive being handled. Break out your Boga grips and hang one from their mouth, that's a dead trout. Flop them onto the deck, wipe their protective slim off and that's a dead trout.
If you're really all about conservation, maybe you should cut your line before they get to the boat but not too long as we don't need a bunch of line floating around the ocean.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Thought you didn't want to talk about it Reel Cowboy :lol: ? This was what was being discussed. Possession is cooler or livewell. Net is not possession. Net is used for retrieval of the fish from the water. After the fish is in the net is when you decide whether you want to possess or release. It is a healthy discussion in my opinion one that needs or needed to be had because it seems there was obviously some confusion.

Nina still has her rod and loves it by the way. :thumbup:
cotton

Post by cotton »

When I get some time I'll add a link to a study on the sucess rate of catch and release trout. Its extremely high(like 90%) during the winter when done correctly. It drops considerably during the heat of the summer.

A injured fish obviously needs to go in the box and has no chance during the summer.
bman

Post by bman »

I'm over this thread and locking it....

I've messages several of you.

If you have a stricter view of conversation then lead by example.
Post photos of the big ones you release and the 15 inchers you fry.

Lead by example and quit hammering others that are within the law.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"