kastking

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: kastking

Post by big bend gyrene »

Again, maybe it would have been a good idea to know your audience before criticizing forum members (sharing this as one of the forum sponsors :roll:)

I honestly wish the whole thread could start fresh with forum members given the chance to simply share their own observations on the KastKing line minus any lengthy sales pitches or attacks on other brands of gear, but that shared I trust Bman will handle as warranted.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

amen
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Since this thread is still here... I'll give an opinion on one of their bait casters just in case anyone is considering one:

Fed-Ex delivered their KastKing Speed Demon yesterday morning. I put it on a 7' med/hvy rod and spooled it with 30lb braid to try it out. I've never been a big braid fan but I thought I'd try it again. I threw it a few times in the pond and it casts a country mile and is extremely smooth and the 9.3 to 1 ratio makes it really fast on the retrieve but I just didn't like the braid so respooled it with 12lb mono. I can throw it almost the full length of my pond without the first bird's nest. (1/2 acre pond). It's speed is going to take some getting used to and I'm going to have to learn to slow down my cranking speed or the fish might have a hard time catching up to the lure. :-D I like it! The carbon fiber construction makes it very light but also makes it look cheaper compared to a metal reel. Still say it's a great deal at the $69. price tag.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

If you have the time and like very technical reviews of spinning reels I would suggest you check out http://www.alanhawk.com/ Under the "reviews" tab read his write up on the new Daiwa BG. It describes how only a couple larger reel manufactures can produce a good quality reels at a reasonable cost. A lot has to do with R&D and manufacturing process that smaller companies can't match. Afterwards check on "Lists" tab. At the bottom of that page is a list of reels "NOT TO BUY". Kast King is at the top of that list.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

tailwaters wrote:If you have the time and like very technical reviews of spinning reels I would suggest you check out http://www.alanhawk.com/ Under the "reviews" tab read his write up on the new Daiwa BG. It describes how only a couple larger reel manufactures can produce a good quality reels at a reasonable cost. A lot has to do with R&D and manufacturing process that smaller companies can't match. Afterwards check on "Lists" tab. At the bottom of that page is a list of reels "NOT TO BUY". Kast King is at the top of that list.
Hmm...I can't find ANY reviews of ANY KastKing reels by "Alan Hawk". However, I did find this:

“If you enjoy my work please click the PAYPAL button and support this site with any amount using your paypal account or credit card”

http://www.alanhawk.com/msg.html
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

tailwaters wrote:If you have the time and like very technical reviews of spinning reels I would suggest you check out http://www.alanhawk.com/ Under the "reviews" tab read his write up on the new Daiwa BG. It describes how only a couple larger reel manufactures can produce a good quality reels at a reasonable cost. A lot has to do with R&D and manufacturing process that smaller companies can't match. Afterwards check on "Lists" tab. At the bottom of that page is a list of reels "NOT TO BUY". Kast King is at the top of that list.
I hate to contradict your very first post but it doesn't say "NOT TO BUY" but actually says "Reels I do not recommend". Everyone has an opinion just like as.. never mind. :-D
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Gave my KastKing Sharky II spinning reel a short 3 hour work out this morning. 3 bass and 5 hybrids

Like em, hate em, recommend them or not... THEY WORK and work well. I don't care what anyone says. :lol:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's a productive outing. Well done. But you probably could have doubled your bag limit with a Shimano Stradic. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

anybody going to test one of these reels on tournament sized fish Saturday? I would appreciate an opty to give one a brief inspection at weigh-in...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:That's a productive outing. Well done. But you probably could have doubled your bag limit with a Shimano Stradic. :wink:
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Hmm...I can't find ANY reviews of ANY KastKing reels by "Alan Hawk". However, I did find this:
I didn't see a review either but if you click on the "list" tab they are mentioned towards the bottom
“If you enjoy my work please click the PAYPAL button and support this site with any amount using your PayPal account or credit card”
That isn't too uncommon now of days, especially when they aren't sponsored by a manufacture. Everyone needs to make a buck.
I hate to contradict your very first post but it doesn't say "NOT TO BUY" but actually says "Reels I do not recommend".
Juan, My bad, it does say "Reels I do not recommend" but the intent of those two phases is about the same in this context. I use to post on here under a different name although it's been a couple years. Since then I've changed email addresses, got a new computer and just forgot my old login so I had to crate a new profile.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

tailwaters wrote:
I didn't see a review either but if you click on the "list" tab they are mentioned towards the bottom
“If you enjoy my work please click the PAYPAL button and support this site with any amount using your PayPal account or credit card”
That isn't too uncommon now of days, especially when they aren't sponsored by a manufacture. Everyone needs to make a buck.
I hate to contradict your very first post but it doesn't say "NOT TO BUY" but actually says "Reels I do not recommend".
Juan, My bad, it does say "Reels I do not recommend" but the intent of those two phases is about the same in this context. I use to post on here under a different name although it's been a couple years. Since then I've changed email addresses, got a new computer and just forgot my old login so I had to crate a new profile.
Well, let me be the first to Welcome you back and at the risk of beating a dead horse, these reels aren't the garbage a lot of people seem to think they are just because they're priced low. I couldn't ask for more out of the two I bought but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't fall apart the next time I use them. :-?
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

So..."Alan Hawk" doesn't recommend KastKing reels, eh?

1. Exactly who is "Alan Hawk"? (Hint: he's not from the USA)
2. "Alan Hawk" doesn't recommend KastKing reels. Why? Please post here links/references to WHY "Alan Hawk" (whoever he is) doesn't recommend KastKing reels. (Maybe KastKing hasn't yet responded to Alan Hawk's solicitations for $).
3. I have found online where "Alan Hawk" said positive reviews of KastKing reels on Amazon.com are "rubbish" (hmm...British terminology?). Wonder if "Alan Hawk" thinks positive reviews of Shimano reels on Amazon.com are also "rubbish"?
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

So..."Alan Hawk" doesn't recommend KastKing reels, eh?

So who is 2Salty & why is he hawking KastKing reels, which seen marginal at best.