trailer tires-portable air compressor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

trailer tires-portable air compressor

Post by Sir reel »

I've been guilty of running my trailer tires with less air pressure than they should have. I have recently been looking at some of the RV discussion sites and others trying to determine if a portable 12 volt air compressor unit would work for me.

My boat sets in the back yard but I like the idea of being able to take a cordless unit to the boat and put 10 or 15 lbs of air in the tires rather than running 75 ft of extension cord out to it, toping off the tires and then gathering up the cord and putting the compressor away.

Some of the units have "jump start" capability as well as the air compressor feature and that sounds interesting as well. I don't think I'm interested in the units that plug directly into a cig lighter as I haven't seen one yet with a hose long enough to do any good.

An air tank would work but then that seems like just something else to find a place for with only one function.

I generally have my fuel before I head out so there is no need to stop at a station and I would rather have the tires at the correct pressure before I head out.

If any of you folks have the portables and have used them, let me know your thoughts. Should I go with an electric (110/120) and deal with the cord or do the cordless units work just fine for topping off two trailer tires? Thanks.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

You can use a 12volt one. Just find one that is big enough to do tires.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I keep a 12 volt air pump in my truck, it has a plug for the cig. lighter and also a female adapter with battery clips that comes in handy with spotlights and fillet knife. 8)
Sea Ya !
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on some good advice. :thumbup: :thumbup: Anybody else out there don't feel bashfull.

What brand/manufacter do you have?

DS the one I've seen was rated at 260psi but that doesn't equate to being able to inflate to that capacity. What's your's rated at?

Sea Fox, your comment regarding a filet knife was something I didn't think about. :D :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

I dont keep one in the truck its in that garage thing, somewhere :o Anyway 260 should be fine, just however long its gonna take is the ??
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I have an old 12 volt compressor, it is very slow but better than nothing.
Ken
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

SR:

I have found that the 12V models have much smaller capacity than the 110V versions. With a trailer tire that takes high pressure to fill, it meant that I burned up (literally, it melted) the 12V pump filling my trailer tires a few times. The 110v version does fine, and I found it was worth running the extension cord every now and then.

Read the labels on the boxes before you buy, and look at capacity. While the upper limits are way high it doesn't mean much. Ask the clerks and see.

EJ
jonguthrie
Site Sponsor

Post by jonguthrie »

I have used them for years. For topping off trailer and lawn tractor tires they cant be beat. I wouldget the cheapest one I could find. If you are lucky you will not use it often, but if you need it often then you have another problem.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I also keep a 12 volt compresser in my truck. They are slow, but will inflate a trailer tire to the proper pressure. SR, the hose on my compresser is about 24" long, however, the cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter is 20' long. It hasn't been a problem. Daddy has a small 110 volt compresser that isn't much faster than my 12 volt. Because of the size of the actual compresser, it is going to be slow. The piston in one of the small portable units is about the size of a sewing thimble. If you're concerned with buying a single function item, buy a 6 HP compresser, with a 30 gallon tank. It will inflate your trailer tires quickly. You can buy all sorts of pneumatic tools. You can buy a paint sprayer. and you can blow the pine straw off of the walkway. AND, I can borrow all that stuff from you. :o
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I also use the small 12v unit. I have used the one I have now for about three years. It's slow, but works enough to top off a low tire. From dead flat might be a problem, but to just top off has never been a problem. Good for spotlight, and any other 12v communication or navigation toys.
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks everyone!! :thumbup: Absolutely great information from all of you. Sure helps to make a decision that I can feel comfortable with. :D

(TC what make is your 12V unit)?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

SR, mine is a Campbell Hausfeld (sp). It was about $20. It has worked just fine for what it is.
What was I supposed to do today?