90 Yamaha impeller change..

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dstockwell

90 Yamaha impeller change..

Post by dstockwell »

Some shots changing the impeller on whendrix 90 Yamaha.

First thing is remove the bolt that holds the anode, mark its alignment for re-installation.

After we removed the bolts, the two half's did not easily separate and had to use a mallet to get to this point. Remove the wire tie that connects the speedo tube.

Rigged up some cross braces to put on the saw horse.

OK, we are at the impeller, but do not believe it will slide off, it had to be cut off.

Straight new, old curved. I should have got a pic of this step, but did not. Installing new, will slide down the shaft until the end, will not slide any more. Took a wrench that was bigger than the shaft, slipped it over, and tapped on the wrench to move the new impeller in place. There is a slot in the impeller that will line up with a key. Now how are you going to put back on the cover with a new straight impeller where that curved one came out of. Well we used a wire tie and tightened it just enough to adjust the new impeller put the cover on and ready to put back together.

Putting this back together seemed worse than taking it apart. Since we had to use a mallet to take apart, putting the two half's back together was a pain as you needed to push and twist or shake a little at the same time, but finally got her back together.

Steady stream on the ops check..

FUTCHCAIRO

REPLACING WATER PUMP

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY STOCKWELL, MY MOTTO IS , IF IT IS WORKING DON'T FIX. THAT OLD IMPELLER LOOKED GOOD TO ME.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Excellent post Don :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Out standing job of documenting and narrative on the job. I'm sure this thread will be reviewed again from time to time. Thanks for taking the time Don :thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Hey Don, I got an 85 that needs a new impeller. When can I drop it off?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Gotta agree with PA on the old one lookin good, the new one will look the same in about 2 or 3 trips :-D Mine has almost 1200 hours on it :o and still pumps darned good "non-use is there worst enemy" :roll: Y'all done a good job on the replacement though :beer:
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Never had a Yamaha impeller go bad,that 90 will pump pure mud and sand,shortcut=put the impeller in the housing first and then slide it down the shaft and on the key and if you use a little GoJo to around it makes it easier to turn and line up.
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

I wish somebody would do that same procedure with a 200 Mercury! Helpfull seeing it done no matter what the motor! THANKS for the pictures and the explanation!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Just my comments here.

First, Just because the impeller LOOKS good does not mean it is. After a few years, the center hub can get stress cracks and then let the shaft spin inside it if it breaks. Or the rubber can come unbonded from the hub and you will not see it.....

Also, it is an EXCELLENT idea to break the foot loose every few years if you run in salt water so you can clean up any corrosion. Even if the impeller looks ok, replace it just to be sure. Be sure to clean and paint any areas of exposed or corroded aluminum to prevent further corrosion.

It is a rather easy job (usually less that 1 hour) if you have not let the foot freeze to the motor. However, it DOES require basic mechanical skills to do it right. Realignment is a little tricky sometimes on some models.

Oh forgot, unless you are familiar with your model, a shop manual is a must! It is worth the cost.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Bonecracker wrote:I wish somebody would do that same procedure with a 200 Mercury!
Bonecracker, the procedure is the same for a 200 Merc.
What was I supposed to do today?
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

It';s been a while but I think the only difference is it's easier if you leave a Merc. in forward gear when removing the gearcase
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The reason to leave it in gear is so you can turn the prop to help align the splines on the driveshaft during reassembly.

If it was in neutral, you could not turn the shaft, making it hard to align.......

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

RodBow wrote:Hey Don, I got an 85 that needs a new impeller. When can I drop it off?
What, where... I don't know... :-D
swatdog
Site Sponsor

Post by swatdog »

Idid the same job last weekend on the same motor. The exception was that when I mated the lower unit to the upper, I forgot to line up the shift linkage. Did not go into gear when I test ran it. Had to unbolt and do it again! :smt013
swatdog
Site Sponsor

Post by swatdog »

I did the same job last weekend on the same motor. The exception was that when I mated the lower unit to the upper, I forgot to line up the shift linkage. Did not go into gear when I test ran it. Had to unbolt and do it again! :smt013