9/28 Busy Midshore Trip!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D How deep did you get the grouper? :-D
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hit-n-miss, hate to give away secret spots but will say it was somewhere between 0 and 40 feet :wink: :-) In all seriousness, wasn't like one of the recent reports where someone reported catching a keeper in 4 to 5 feet but wasn't beyond 40 either.

Forgot to give stats on the cobia -- wasn't the biggest landed on my boat but up there in the top 2 or 3... was a little over 37" long and around 24 pounds. Told Sharkman the following Monday at work that I missed his company... used to using a two man approach when landing keeper cobes, not juggling the rod with a big fish on while dancing around gear on the boat and handling the boga grip too :lol:

One last surprise follow-up from the trip... I had caught plenty of sharks before this last trip but never kept one for eating purposes. Knowing I wouldn't likely be back out for a while, I had some motivation to stock the freezer and kept the blacktip to give it a try. Soaked it overnight in italian dressing before cooking it and really liked it!!! Not real eager to get the mercury levels too high so don't think I'll make it my target fish of choice but from a taste stand point I found it to be better than I expected.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o I had just wanted to know the feasability of getting grouper out of Ecky in a bay boat. How far I would have to run to get to deep enough water, hence how deep? :-D
BlueH2OFisherman

Post by BlueH2OFisherman »

Dang nice trip, good job.
Todd Anderson