Rigging...

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: Rigging...

Post by GAJOEY »

Littoral wrote:
GAJOEY wrote:I think I am gonna go out and get me a kayak real soon you and suber have brought valid reasons for me to go and get one..
You talkin about fish? :D
the ease of it . and cost
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I didn't have a trolley on my first kayak, I rigged an anchor in the front and one in the back so I could position myself with or against the wind/ current. On the Native I got last summer I went with the trolley, and I have to say, I like it. It's really nice to be able to orient yourself in whichever direction you want by simply running the line forward or backward. Anchoring position isn't always critical, but when it is it can be a make it or break it.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Supa Fly wrote:I didn't have a trolley on my first kayak, I rigged an anchor in the front and one in the back so I could position myself with or against the wind/ current. On the Native I got last summer I went with the trolley, and I have to say, I like it. It's really nice to be able to orient yourself in whichever direction you want by simply running the line forward or backward. Anchoring position isn't always critical, but when it is it can be a make it or break it.
Thank ya'll. I'm sold. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Duh. :bang_1
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Duh?????Expalnation!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

TallyFish wrote:Duh?????Expalnation!
Sorry. I spent 3-4 hours trying to set up to fish & really never did. Frustrating.
I fished with Talltails at the mouth of the Ochlocknee on a 4ft tidal change.
If you're not familiar with that area it's a raging torrent across those bars on a big tide.
I've fished it & should have known that much moving water would challenge a simple anchor set up.
Learned what I needed to though. :thumbup: :thumbup:
And, I still caught some nice fish. :beer:
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Ah, yes the frustration of the anchor, I know it well. I have two anchors but only use one which is a 1.5 kg. folding anchor. The other is a spade type which I have not used yet but many others have and they seem pleased with the performance in a variety of conditions. My folding anchor is fine around oyster bars, rough bottom or mud and is easy to store. However, if a tide is moving then it is darn near USELESS in mud!
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I used to use the small 2 lb folding anchor, and ended up in enough situations with heavy winds or current that now I just carry a ridiculous 5 lb anchor. It's way oversized most of the time, but it will hold you in any gale or raging current when you need it to.