flounder giggin

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

Re: flounder giggin

Post by Talltails »

This is the proper technique
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

GatorBaiter wrote:Bet they taste the same no matter how you catch em'. I wonder how many young immature fish are injured or killed due to hook and line fishing...
If one survives from hook and line catch and release its still more than the ones that survive being gigged.

And FYI I have flounder gigged, frog gigged, shot squirrels, rabbits, birds, deer, coyotes, foxes, and worked on mullet boats and ran 3000 foot nets on beaches. I even fished a tournament whose limits were just around the PETA headquarters in Norfolk, VA. I'm no tree hugging dirt lover, but I am opposed to leaving dogs in cars, gigging flounder, and chasing deer with dogs to be shot at a fence line. I guess i should wait for all the sheep to stand in a line to give you my opinion, but I don't do it that way.

You asked what the difference was between hook and line and gigging and I told you that is was not very sporting and you could not catch and release them. I hope you enjoy the pictures of of the fish I catch with my fancy cameras and kayaks. I could have just kept them to myself. And nice catch on the tail gate.

Merry Christmas
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We all have a difference of opinion on most everything "in one way or another" :thumbup: it's good that we can voice those opinions and still be friends :thumbup: :thumbup: those that gig have no intention of releasing a fish :-D so that point is mute :smt004 anyone who gigs a fish that they don't know is legal, don't have any business gigging to start with :evil: as for being sporting, what is sporting to one person, is just a walk in the park to another "just like folks said passing the ball instead of running it wasn't sporting back in the early football era" :smt004 we do enjoy your reports and your pictures :thumbup: and if I could get in a yak, without turning the danged thang over, I would probably give it a go "but still fillet and release" :-D and I for one am just jealous of that fancy camera equipment ya got :beer: :beer:

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL :smt006
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sing along.........

JOY TO THE WORLD....THE WAR HAS BEGUN...LET EVERY ANGLER ZING!!!

Hehehehehehehe :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Sic' 'em Suber.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I have seen enough folks keep over a limit ignore slot sizes put a box on shore and go back for more to make me wonder why there are any fish left at all. I also have never gigged or did any diving and spear fishing for that matter I guess we could call that foul as well, what about depth finders GPS and stinky slime covered gulps that help novices catch more fish. What is fair who gets to decide? Should folks that wade call people in a boat unfair is live bait only more or less fair, should you have to catch the bait yourself? Is one lure more fair than another jigs and spoons okay but multi hook lures wrong I don't really know but if the law says its okay why isn't it? I have thought about gigging and if I had to catch my own bait I would have to get better at it fast because it isn't my strong suit to say the least more than once I didn't limit because the fish were over the slot size and I couldn't catch them small enough. I don't meat fish but did enjoy last nights fish fry I am not Mr. catch and release but you can check my box any day right size and right number not because I am scared of getting caught but out of respect for the resource and the rules. There is somthing about the sites, smells and sounds that sooth me it speaks to my heart, mind and soul.

Jeff I admire your skills and abilities but I don't have a desire to get in a yak at all.

Wevans I don't want to go offshore in a jon boat

I would love to try nite fishing sometime or giging if I was with someone that knew how to do it.

Tom spearfishing ain't for me, I am going to stay in the boat as long as it will float but I'd be glad to be your topside guy for sure it don't bother me.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

dang.....I sure managed to cause a stir...not to shabby for my first ever post.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Congratulations, Skeeter-Eater! :beer: :beer: :beer: Not to shabby for a first post at all!

I don't remember any first posts getting as much attention... wait one... correction -- I should say I don't remember any first post from a MALE getting as much attention :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

How 'bout some of that egg nog Pirate. I will be at Keaton on Mon and Tue with some great guys that are first timers. How 'bout some fishing reports? :)
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Dabbler wrote:How 'bout some of that egg nog Pirate. I will be at Keaton on Mon and Tue with some great guys that are first timers. How 'bout some fishing reports? :)
Anytime Dabbler! :lol: Did you get my PM about Northside?
Team Jolly Mon
Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

What"s a PM?
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

A PM is short for "personal message." Not to be confused with PMS...which is a message from your wife that you might not want. :lol: Good luck with the flounder gigging.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

What a mess wrote:I have seen enough folks keep over a limit ignore slot sizes put a box on shore and go back for more to make me wonder why there are any fish left at all. I also have never gigged or did any diving and spear fishing for that matter I guess we could call that foul as well, what about depth finders GPS and stinky slime covered gulps that help novices catch more fish. What is fair who gets to decide? Should folks that wade call people in a boat unfair is live bait only more or less fair, should you have to catch the bait yourself? Is one lure more fair than another jigs and spoons okay but multi hook lures wrong I don't really know but if the law says its okay why isn't it? I have thought about gigging and if I had to catch my own bait I would have to get better at it fast because it isn't my strong suit to say the least more than once I didn't limit because the fish were over the slot size and I couldn't catch them small enough. I don't meat fish but did enjoy last nights fish fry I am not Mr. catch and release but you can check my box any day right size and right number not because I am scared of getting caught but out of respect for the resource and the rules. There is somthing about the sites, smells and sounds that sooth me it speaks to my heart, mind and soul.

Jeff I admire your skills and abilities but I don't have a desire to get in a yak at all.

Wevans I don't want to go offshore in a jon boat

I would love to try nite fishing sometime or giging if I was with someone that knew how to do it.

Tom spearfishing ain't for me, I am going to stay in the boat as long as it will float but I'd be glad to be your topside guy for sure it don't bother me.
Nuff said :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've shot fish with spears, arrows and guns, I've gigged them with gigs, I've used rod n reels, electric reels, handlines, snag hooks, jigs, limb hooks, trot lines, light bulbs, and clorox bottles. I've caught them on live bait, dead bait, artificial bait. I have run in the mouths of restricted waters and forced mullet and even an occasional bass to jump in the boat. I've used my feet, float tubes, big boat, little boats, middle boats, outboard, inboards, inboard/outboard, air boats, gas engines, diesel engines and electric engines. I say get at'em all!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

MudDucker wrote:I've shot fish with spears, arrows and guns, I've gigged them with gigs, I've used rod n reels, electric reels, handlines, snag hooks, jigs, limb hooks, trot lines, light bulbs, and clorox bottles. I've caught them on live bait, dead bait, artificial bait. I have run in the mouths of restricted waters and forced mullet and even an occasional bass to jump in the boat. I've used my feet, float tubes, big boat, little boats, middle boats, outboard, inboards, inboard/outboard, air boats, gas engines, diesel engines and electric engines. I say get at'em all!
....I couldn't help but notice, you never left one in a car. Twice!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I thought for a second I was on a Florida Sportsman forum.....! :roll:

I give flounder gigging a try at times mainly because I love to go out at night. I see lots of different kinds of fish which is fun. I have weak night vision and handicapped hand to eye coordination when it comes to those flatties....therefore I am not a threat to the flounder population. I have gotten a few sting rays which I trim out and add to my
fish stew.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.