Braided Line Experiences?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

crew322

Re: Braided Line Experiences?

Post by crew322 »

How can you cast properly with these short leaders (4 ft, 18", etc...)? Doesn't the knot between the leader/mainline catch in the eyes on the rod while casting?

Maybe I'm just tying a crappy knot or something but I always seem to lose accuracy/distance this way. I use a blood knot or surgeon's knot and get the same results with my spinning reels.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

crew322 wrote:How can you cast properly with these short leaders (4 ft, 18", etc...)? Doesn't the knot between the leader/mainline catch in the eyes on the rod while casting?

Maybe I'm just tying a crappy knot or something but I always seem to lose accuracy/distance this way. I use a blood knot or surgeon's knot and get the same results with my spinning reels.
I just built a spinning rod for myself that when I tested it I had a 3mm guide wrapped for a tip. Fly rods usually have small tips (hence small guides are called fly guides) and they have to pass a several knots, I guess don't fly fish. Try a uni to uni and tie it slim. It doesn;t hurt to have a drop of super glue on there either, it makes it a little smoother.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Use an albright knot, and shorten your leader to around 15 inches.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

jsuber wrote:Use an albright knot, and shorten your leader to around 15 inches.
:stupid_1
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Navy »

I agree with much of what has been posted on this thread, but it seems focused on spooling smaller reels. What is the general consensus of spooling a Penn 760L Live Liner with 40# Power Pro?
I bought this rig primarily for casting to Cobia or whatever else I see in the Gulf, but will use it inshore to soak a fat pin under a CT. Since the spool will hold 380yd of 15# mono and the 40# Power Pro is equivalent to 10# test, what is the recommendation? Full spool for long runs in Gulf or back fill with some mono and top with Power Pro?
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I've been a powerpro user foa a long while, and like it a lot. I kinda like the Suffix brair, too, except it is noisy. I just spooled some Hi-Seas Wildfire (thermally bonded braid) and think it does cast farther, as advertised, but I haven't used it enuf to say for sure if I'll stick with it over the pr'pro. Kind-of hard to find, though.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

On the big one I use all power pro cobia shark and tarpon can burn over 1 hundred yards of line on one run I also use them to troll for spanish kings drop for sheep & snapper from thirty to 100'.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

What a mess wrote:On the big one I use all power pro cobia shark and tarpon can burn over 1 hundred yards of line on one run I also use them to troll for spanish kings drop for sheep & snapper from thirty to 100'.
Where have you been lately WAM? I haven't seen you around.
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Use braided line to pop a cork.
Otherwise use Back Country Big Game mono.
If you cannot hook and land on mono you don''t know how to fish to start with.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Sea Spot

Post by Sea Spot »

I tried 7 different lines before finding 20lb power pro.I use the red on my 3 spinning reels and on my 3 bait casters.Works great but has little stretch so use 15 inch floro leader .
crew322

Post by crew322 »

Been using the albright knot for my flouro and mono leaders tied to various powerpro (20/30 lbs test). The albright seems to work well on my baitcaster where I'm using 17lb mono, haven't lost any lures yet. Unfortunately, this knot isn't working very well for my spinning rods where i'm using 20lb flouro. I've already had 2 spinner baits fly off this setup. I've used several different sources for tying the knot (grogs, powerpro) and it's pretty much the same and I followed the directions to the T. I don't think I'm tying it wrong but obviously something isn't right since I've lost a couple lures already. Anyway, trying a reverse albright now on the spinning rod and we'll see how that goes. Also, going to invest in some superglue as well. Any other advice? Thanks.