The BP oil rig

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Good Times

Re: The BP oil rig

Post by Good Times »

What will the effects be of the oil spill? Time will tell. I have been against off shore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico since the ban was lifted. I just don't trust that large corporations have what's best in mind for the Gulf of Mexico. I grew up in Panama City and much of who I am revolves around time spent on the water fishing, scalloping, diving, skiing, boating, you name it. It's not a political or economic thing for me. I was pretty sure that something like this would happen eventually and really didn't want to see this happen in my own back yard. I think that drilling in the Gulf will result in larger profit margins for the Oil Companies. I don't necessarily think that it will translate into a lot of money saved at the pump. Do we need more resources of oil? Yes. But at what cost? Personally, this is going to be too high a cost in my book.

Have you heard of the Destin Dome? That's one that would hit really close to home if companies were allowed to drill and there were ever an accident.

http://kevincolby.com/2008/07/15/do-you ... n-dome-is/
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Good Times wrote:What will the effects be of the oil spill? Time will tell. I have been against off shore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico since the ban was lifted. I just don't trust that large corporations have what's best in mind for the Gulf of Mexico. I was pretty sure that something like this would happen eventually and really didn't want to see this happen in my own back yard. I think that drilling in the Gulf will result in larger profit margins for the Oil Companies. I don't necessarily think that it will translate into a lot of money saved at the pump. Do we need more resources of oil? Yes. But at what cost? Personally, this is going to be too high a cost in my book.
Agreed!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Sounds to me like if the government put its' nose where it should be and not where they want it to be,things would be just fine.
Besides that if BP lets the U.S. government get too involved that damn pipe will be open for years to come.
Obama sent the Coast Guard.
Please tell me what good the Coast Guard is going to do other than keep sight seers away.
The commercial and recreational fishermen of the area have done more good by volunteering(and some getting paid) to go out and help any way possible.
And you are correct,Bush did not blow the levee.The dumbass coonassess didn't have sense enough to get on the buses.
Hey JT, President Obama really didn't have a choice in sending in the Coast Guard. The National Contingency Plan (A Federal Law) calls for the USCG to be the lead federal agency, provding the Federal On-Scene Coordinator for coastal spills and the US EPA to be the lead federal agency, providing the Federal On-Scene Coordinator for inland spills. The USCG, BP, EPA, States, and several other parties are working feverishly on behalf of the Alabama, Miss. and Florida interests out of the Mobile Sector Unified Command. Those same type entities are together working out of Houma, La for the La. and Tx interests.

It's a bad one no doubt about it. I can tell you from the front line, a ton of resources are being thrown at this from all aspects (local, state, volunteers, federal, bp, etc.). Basically, all available resources that can adequately help are being utilized and nothing is being left on the table. This spill is unique and offers a lot of challenges that have never been experienced before. I honestly believe that if folks had an opportunity to look at the coordination being done and the efforts being made, they would be somewhat proud of those efforts.

I just got to the hotel after a 17 hour day and hopped on this site as a means to escape the grind I have been involved with since Monday (I left Monday for routine work and was diverted to Alabama and haven't been home since). What really stinks for myself is this upcoming NFGFC meeting was the first Thursday night I had available in a long time and I was hoping to make my initial meeting, turns out I will still be here :thumbdown: :thumbdown: . Let's hope June is a little better.

As someone already posted, we'll be dealing with tar balls and tar mats for a long time to come. Let's hope that's all we have to deal with, but it may end up being worse.

As a final thought, please know that one of "us" is working for all of our special interest, the Gulf we love.

Good Night.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Scoop Sea"our" man on the scene.
No doubt it is bad.
You keep us updated with the truth.
My info is from the doomsday media.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

I think you are mistaken in your belief that just because its its drilled here, it means the product stays here.
1Nitrofish

Post by 1Nitrofish »

I think when it`s all said and done... these states affected by this will end up owning BP and Transocean with lawsuits and attempted cleanup cost. And I say fine...maybe this will get someones attention for a safer and foolproof blowout system for furture operations for rigs that already exist.We`ll see.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Scoop Sea wrote:The National Contingency Plan (A Federal Law) calls for the USCG to be the lead federal agency, providing the Federal On-Scene Coordinator for coastal spills and the US EPA to be the lead federal agency, providing the Federal On-Scene Coordinator for inland spills. The USCG, BP, EPA, States, and several other parties are working feverishly on behalf of the Alabama, Miss. and Florida interests out of the Mobile Sector Unified Command. Those same type entities are together working out of Houma, La for the La. and Tx interests.
Thanks for the inside scoop, Scoop Sea. I'm glad to hear (By POLITICO STAFF | 05/01/10 7:31 AM) that "Homeland security adviser John Brennan assembled an hour-plus cabinet-level meeting Friday at President Obama’s request to discuss the response to the Gulf Coast oil spill. Attending the meeting -- which White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said was “to discuss the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and ensure that the resources of the federal government are fully integrated in the response to the incident details” -- were Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Admiral Mike Mullen, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, Rear Admiral Mary Landry, Deputy Secretary of Interior David Hayes, NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco and Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Carol Browner."

Boy, I'm impressed that these top-agency officials would spend a whole "hour-plus" on the topic! :roll: Darn, they must be really good at their jobs (or have a lot of confidence in their worker bees).
Last edited by Harmsway on May 1st, 2010, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

Where is the leadership in our leaders?

210,000 gallons of Louisiana crude oil per day is heading for the beaches of the Gulf coast from Louisiana to Florida in what many consider the worse environmental disaster in history and the Tallahassee Democrat did not even consider this breaking news until now.

I just don’t understand the buffoonery of the Republican legislature and Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda
(In case you forgot, see http://www.votemichelle.com/content/view/111/2/)
Promoting oil drilling off the coast of Florida. Don’t they know that the beaches are the number one source of revenue in the state? Why would they jeopardize Florida’s beaches just to make the oil companies richer than they already are?

I just don’t get it. Don’t our leaders respect the marine life that lives in the gulf? Have the oil companies contributed that much to their campaigns that they are willing to risk our beaches? It is not that we don’t have any other options, other States and countries are investing in jobs to build alternative energy. Massachusetts is building wind turbines. At least if a wind turbine blows up in the ocean, crude will not threaten the beaches.
Where has our leadership in our leaders? Who has the wisdom to do the right thing? When will they learn?
Senator Bill Nelson has been a leader for Florida and has been fighting a losing battle against big oil for years. Maybe now someone will pay attention to him.
I smell oil off the coast of Aligator Point!
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Possible impact on the beaches of Pensacola by Monday according to CNN. First I lose my real job because of the economy and have to fall back on fishing to make a living, and now that is at risk too. Thanks BP!!!!
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

What a nightmare scenario.

If a large volume of that oil is swept onto the big bend shoreline we are screwed. It could take years for the marsh, sea grass, fish and birds to recover, the dependent local economy maybe never. Meanwhile this is a huge financial hit on BP and the whole oil production industry, which we love to hate but cannot seem to survive without.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Skag wrote:What a nightmare scenario.

If a large volume of that oil is swept onto the big bend shoreline we are screwed. It could take years for the marsh, sea grass, fish and birds to recover, the dependent local economy maybe never. Meanwhile this is a huge financial hit on BP and the whole oil production industry, which we love to hate but cannot seem to survive without.
It's rather strange. When the issue of Gulf of Mexico offshore oil drilling has come up in the past, I remember being the only poster opposed to it on this site. My opposition was based on real life professional experience regulating the oil industry. But on fishing sites including this one, I got my butt screamed at by poster after poster, telling me I was an enviro-nut, liberal freak, and generally an idiot. When I said that there was no way we could eliminate or even manage risk to an acceptable level given the environmental issues, I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. I'd say conservatively that the numbers were about 99 to one in favor of drill, baby drill, and the one opposed was me.

I am happy to have some new converts, but where have you been all this time?

EJ
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Go ahead, EJ. You can say, "I told you so."
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I am wondering if it is feasible to put up a series of oil barriers from Ochlocknee Bay to the Aucilla? Is there any kind of local preparation for that if it becomes necessary? It looks like the oil might stay pushed north and northwest for a few days so there is some time to organize.

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts ... starttime=

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... meoffset=0
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

EddieJoe wrote:
Skag wrote:What a nightmare scenario.

It's rather strange. When the issue of Gulf of Mexico offshore oil drilling has come up in the past, I remember being the only poster opposed to it on this site. My opposition was based on real life professional experience regulating the oil industry. But on fishing sites including this one, I got my butt screamed at by poster after poster, telling me I was an enviro-nut, liberal freak, and generally an idiot. When I said that there was no way we could eliminate or even manage risk to an acceptable level given the environmental issues, I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. I'd say conservatively that the numbers were about 99 to one in favor of drill, baby drill, and the one opposed was me.

I am happy to have some new converts, but where have you been all this time?

EJ
buttplug! :roll:
GULP! free since 1970.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Haha BD said Buttplug.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.