The BP oil rig

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Re: The BP oil rig

Post by Charles »

I have always been against new drilling in the gulf. This is why. All it takes is one time to ruin vast swaths of of coastline. Hope you pro-drilling folks like freshwater fishing, because when this slick gets here, and I think it will be here this week, the inland lakes are all the fishing there will be. I was on the Wakulla River yesterday and with the wind the way it was I can see how an oil slick could reach many miles up a river. In the case of specifically the Wakulla, I expect the entire river to be affected all the way up to and including the spring. In the case of the St. Marks River, I expect the river to be affected up to Natural Bridge.

Yes, we need oil to a certain extent. We also need a lifestyle adjustment in a big way, and to stop wasting petroleum and the natural environment. The wake-up call to get off oil was almost 40 years ago. Most of Europe and Asia heeded that call while we, as a nation, have disgustingly done next to nothing. This is just a part of the price we will be paying for that.

If we see a sharp and severe rise in gas prices this summer, at least we won't have to worry about fueling the boat since there won't be any saltwater fishing. Not for years to come. If this slick gets into the Gulf Stream, and some predictions say it will, it will go to the Keys then up the East Coast. If that happens, environmental impact aside, Florida's economy will be crushed.

This event has changed my mind about one thing. I used to think drilling in the gulf was a bad idea. Now I think drilling in the gulf is just flat stupid.

Some folks at BP and Halliburton need to be looking at some serious prison time over this. These companies need to be required to pay the entire cost of clean up including paying the volunteers and they need to pay for all environmental impact. If these costs drive these companies under, then tough scat.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

charles i give 5.00 to swin from the lighthouse to the head of each river.!! just don't see oil making it that far
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

HOUSTON, May 2 (Reuters) - U.S. officials closed commercial and recreational fishing for a minimum of 10 days in federal waters affected by the massive oil spill in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Sunday.

The affected waters are largely between Louisiana State waters at the mouth of the Mississippi River to Florida's Pensacola Bay, the agency said.

"Balancing economic and health concerns, this order closes just those areas that are affected by oil," NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco, said in a statement. "There should be no health risk in seafood currently in the marketplace."

There are fish, crabs, oyster and shrimp near the spill and officials are working to prohibit harvesting from affected areas, NOAA said

Dont look like my uncle will be making his yearlly july 4th deep sea charter trip this year.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This is a NASTY spill, but it is not and should not be the end of offshore drilling. Something went wrong here that is way different from other rigs. That needs to be studied and fixed.

As for calls on federal government by tea party and such, this spill happened on a federal permit. The feds have the responsibility for the cleanup. The fed will in turn bill BP's insurance company for the costs.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Mud is 100% correct, this should not be the end of offshore drilling, and as for the statement on the fed's. Obama has stated "I will not take any of the blame for this" Even though it was obama's order who let them drill and it was obama who took a week to even get things moving on fixing the problem. I only ask this one question when will our president take the blame for anything he does?

It is a shame the damage that is caused bye this spill to the fishing in the area, however learning from mistakes that happen today to improve on stuff tommarow is the way to go just because something goes wrong does not mean we should ever abondon a technology, for all you who say stop drilling i ask, if you fell off a bike and broke your arm when your arm healed would you refuss to ever ride a bike agian?
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

This oil rig failed in fair weather, with no obvious external factors noted (yet).

Every terrorist enemy that we have has now identified oil rigs as extremely vulnerable targets that could each result in catastrophic disasters.

Yet, there are still a few folks out there that consider offshore drilling as a viable option.

Now, I really do think that conservative talk radio is entertaining, but if you buy into using this issue as a political blame game you shouldn't be allowed to vote. The problem of offshore drilling has a simple, common sense solution: don't do it
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Gents, sorry for the long delay, but yesterday was another 18 plus day and I just didn't feel up to checking out the web this morning when I got back to the hotel. Right now, there have been no confirmed shore landings from Miss., Alabama, and Florida (the area I am working). No doubt it's still out there but thus far the Good Lord has kept it out in the Gulf rather than bringing it on shore. I, like everyone else expect a landfall, we are just not sure when or where for sure. I cannot remember how many thousands of feet of boom has been put out. The response activities are falling under the Area Contingency Plan which is a plan for this area that takes in all of the environmentally sensitive areas (basically all of the areas we love) etc. Here is a good site to check out for intel, etc.: www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com If you have comments, questions, etc this site is a pretty good resource to check out. One thing is for sure, there is no expense being spared and no operationally applicable resource being turned away. I'm gonna run and try and catch some shut eye.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Seems I am not the only one who is concerned that this was not an accident. Obama has dispatched Navy Seals and other operatives to offshore rigs.

To shut down offshore drilling because of terrorists is to run and hide in fear. Our Country's border is so open that a terrorist could come in and do pretty much whatever they want if our intelligence operations don't catch wind of them. Most would have a harder time of mounting an attack on a rig due to logistics than flying to Mexico and walking into our Country.

The feds and BP were both way too slow to react to this one.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

Just my 02 worth, but I think we should drill on "land" only.
Pirate Girl
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

MudDucker wrote:Seems I am not the only one who is concerned that this was not an accident. Obama has dispatched Navy Seals and other operatives to offshore rigs.

To shut down offshore drilling because of terrorists is to run and hide in fear. Our Country's border is so open that a terrorist could come in and do pretty much whatever they want if our intelligence operations don't catch wind of them. Most would have a harder time of mounting an attack on a rig due to logistics than flying to Mexico and walking into our Country.

The feds and BP were both way too slow to react to this one.
I wonder if he sent any Navy "Corpsemen"?

Official Talking Point:....."We've been on this since day one"......now that is very comforting!

Sorry to be sarcastic but OBO needs a disaster right now!!!!!!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
konrad

Post by konrad »

So it seems inevitable that the oil is going to hit our shores. What can we do to help? Are there any local volunteer organizations being set up to deal with this disaster? If so please let me know. Looks like we are all going to have a lot of free time.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

BP 'absolutely' will pay for Gulf oil spill cleanup, CEO says

BP will "absolutely be paying for the cleanup operation" of the huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, chief executive Tony Hayward said Monday. "There's no doubt about that."

"It is indeed BP's responsibility to deal with this and we're dealing with it," Hayward told NPR's "Morning Edition."

And, he added, "where legitimate claims [of damages] are made, we will be good for them," according to NPR's website.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/03/gulf.o ... index.html

although BP gas has averaged a 15cent increase in the past day.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Here comes the money, here comes the money. 25 million block grant to each state.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

konrad wrote:What can we do to help? Are there any local volunteer organizations being set up to deal with this disaster? If so please let me know. Looks like we are all going to have a lot of free time.
Here a bunch resources:

Wakulla County Division of Emergency Management: (850)926.0800

To discuss spill related damage, please call 1-800-440-0858.
For volunteer information, please call 1-866-448-5816.
To report oiled shoreline, please call 1-866-448-5816.
Contractors wishing to provide assistance (taking calls from contractors offering services or products): 1-985-902-5231
Environmental hotline, please call 1-866-448-5816
General assistance and alternative technology and services hotline 1-281-366-551
Vessels of Opportunity (Boats for hire) 1-425-745-8017
Incident website: www.Deepwaterhorizonresponse.com
Joint Information Center-985-902-5231
To Report oiled or injured wildlife-1-800-557-1401
To discuss spill related damage claims-1-800-440-0858
EPA National Response Center-1-800-424-8802

Informational Websites:

http://www.floridadisaster.org/eoc/Update/Home.asp

Coast Guard Sector Mobile Area Contingency Plan:
http://ocean.floridamarine.org/ACP/MOBA ... tHere.html

For interagency updates: www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com

For satellite imagry of the spill- www.skytruth.org

U. of S. Fl. tracking info: http://optics.marine.usf.edu/events/GOM_rigfire

http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/ EPA UPDATES

Volunteer for Animal Services:

http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/
http://action.sierraclub.org/Oil_Spill_CleanUp
www.imms.org
www.saveourseabirds.org
www.ecwildliferefuge.com/
www.audubonaction.org/SpillResponse
www.audubonaction.org/howtohelp
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Get a life Will.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?