ID this dead snake please

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skeeter-eater

Re: ID this dead snake please

Post by skeeter-eater »

luke...my b-day is this month....i expect a vintage snake skin belt as a gift....34 waste size....no excuses.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

You know its one badazz snake when it spells out YAYA right in the middle. :o
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

I believe that there's a "South Eastern Deadone." Those are my favorite!
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT LIGHT COLOR OR WITH SO MANY MARKINGS. IT IS ALSO KINDA LONG AND SLENDER FOR A MOCASIN. ALL I HAVE SEEN, AND THAT HAS BEEN A BUNCH, HAVE BEEN A LOT SHORTER AND ALMOST BLACK IN COLOR AND MUCH LARGER AROUND.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
snookmaster

Post by snookmaster »

Anybody that lives in the state of Florida, and thinks that snake is boa or a python is an idiot...Go back to Ohio
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Please...that's a cottonmouth, hands down.

Come wadefishing with me at the St Marks Refuge and I'll show you my patented "cottonmouth 2-step avoidance maneuver." The key aspect of this special dance is an awareness that Mr. Moccasin does not give ground. As much as I want to hate him, I gotta admire his All-American badassness. As in...

Don't Tread On Me, or I will F**k You Up.

Go USA!
macdaddy
Site Sponsor

Post by macdaddy »

Google timber or canebreak rattlesnake, i think thats what it is. To lite of a color for cottonmouth.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Looks like a timber rattle snake to me. We killed them on a regular basis at middle Ga hunting club. I cant explain the no rattle though.
Sea Ya !
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Wonder if Atticus is even still keeping up with this mega-thread... :lol:

For anyone who is, the pics are interesting in that the snake definitely is in the viper family/is poisonous, but to Pa's point looks pretty darn slender and light for an adult... here's a pic of exactly what I'm used to seeing out in Lloyd when I've found them...

Very dark with muted coloration and much thicker/fatter body than the snake pictured. This shared I killed a juvennile at my pool a year or so back that was definitely in the viper family/had cat eyes but was much lighter than I had seen before and was marked much like Atticus's snake.

Being the curious sort, did some google work and lo' & behold we're right on the edge of an intergradation/transitional area that holds multiple sub-species of water moccasins. Sounds like it's likely "piscivorus conanti" which is not the much more widely spread eastern cottonmouth, but instead is known specifically as the Florida cottonmouth.

For anyone interested in details on the subspecies, here's some interesting info I copied from a US Geological Survey site...

There are three cottonmouth subspecies (races): A. piscivorus conanti (Gloyd, 1969), the Florida Cottonmouth; A. piscivorus piscivorus (Lacepède, 1789), the Eastern Cottonmouth; and A. piscivorus leucostoma (Troost, 1836), the Western Cottonmouth. Typically A. p. conanti has the most prominent bands and facial markings of the three subspecies but there is much variation within each taxon (Gloyd and Conant, 1990; Conant and Collins, 1998). In A. p. leucostoma males are more likely to have prominent bands than females (Zaidan, 2001). Young Cottonmouths are strongly patterned and have a yellow tail (Behler and King, 1979; Gloyd and Conant, 1990; Lamar, 1997; Conant and Collins, 1998). Identification of individual subspecies is made more difficult by a broad geographic area of intergradation between all three of them (Conant and Collins, 1998).

salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BIG BEND GYRENE, NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A MOCCASIN , THE ONE YOU POSTED ON YOUR REPLY. THE ONE THAT ATTICUS POSTED A PICTURE TO ME IS MORE LIKE THE CANEBREAK RATTLER. THE CANEBREAK RATTLER WE FOUND WERE ALWAYS IN WIDE OPEN AREAS, JUST GRAB THEIR TAILS AND POP THEIR HEADS OFF LIKE YOU WOULD A BULL WHIP.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fish on!!
Site Sponsor

Post by fish on!! »

you're all wrong. It defintely a Bushmaster. :-D
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

This one straight took after me as if it wanted to fight today right after the rain.

My kid was 10ft away. By the grace of God it didn't charge him.

I just happened to turn around and saw this nasty Fer charging me.

I ran and put my son (2.5) inside then got the Taurus Judge for some lead poisoning retribution. That's a spent 2.5in. 410 hull by his head

Thinking about moving :x
mrbigglesworth

Post by mrbigglesworth »

Cottonmouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk