Shimano Stradic - Which One? (& Penn Battle Review)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Re: Shimano Stradic - Which One? (& Penn Battle Review)

Post by EddieJoe »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
EddieJoe wrote: On a yak where you are bringing one outfit, for me it would be a Stradic 3000 and a 7' medium action, very fast action rod, spooled with 15 lb (or 20 lb) 832 braid.

Huh?
Yeah, I mis-wrote that one. I like a fast action seven footer.
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Shimano
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Salty Gator wrote:Sorry, I meant Jim, as in reel repair by Jim. Not mike. Sorry fishinfool!
No problem Salty Gator
The Stradic 3000 in the new FJ model is the way I would go if I were going to buy a new "all around" saltwater reel. It has incorporated all the best features of Stradics past. The Ci4 bearings are susceptible to saltwater corrosion. There are ceramic bearing upgrades that can relieve some of those problems, but at a price of around $80.
The only other comparable reel I would recommend is the Team Daiwa Fuego in the 2500 or 3000 size.
The differences are like chocolate and vanilla, some people prefer one over the other. I prefer Shimano because I have fished them solely for over 30 years and I am loyal.
FF
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

you'll be a happy camper buying any shimano, the stradic is a great reel. if you EVER did buy another penn get the "penn conquer" i have one and i would buy an other in second. hope bass pro treats ya right! :thumbup:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

fishinfool wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Sorry, I meant Jim, as in reel repair by Jim. Not mike. Sorry fishinfool!
No problem Salty Gator
The Stradic 3000 in the new FJ model is the way I would go if I were going to buy a new "all around" saltwater reel. It has incorporated all the best features of Stradics past. The Ci4 bearings are susceptible to saltwater corrosion. There are ceramic bearing upgrades that can relieve some of those problems, but at a price of around $80.
The only other comparable reel I would recommend is the Team Daiwa Fuego in the 2500 or 3000 size.
The differences are like chocolate and vanilla, some people prefer one over the other. I prefer Shimano because I have fished them solely for over 30 years and I am loyal.
FF
FF-interested in hearing more about this. What are the correct ceramic bearings? Who sells them? Is there recognizable performance benefit over the stock bearings even when new? How difficult is the install for a non-mechanical type? Thanks
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Well seeing as I am in the reel repair business, I would like very much to do your upgrade. You asked if a non mechanical type can do this? I would say if you are not comfortable in completely tearing your reel down and putting it back together, I would advise against it. I have done this stuff for years and I am familiar with the way manufacturers assemble reels, so I have little trouble doing it and am not uncomfortable. For someone that has never done it, it might be a little overwhelming.
I have received reels in boxes and zip-lock bags, and expect it to happen again in the future. There is nothing to be ashamed of in asking for help or admitting you got in over your head. If it gets to that point I will be happy to reassemble the reel for you. If you want to do it yourself it is possible. You can buy the bearings from Boca Bearings in Boynton Beach, Florida. They have kits to fit reels by make and model. They do not however have the Ci4 listed.
I had to do some tinkering when doing the upgrade on my personal 2500 Ci4. There are adjustments that no-one will tell you about. As with anything else, there is no perfect manufacturing process. Bearings will vary in thickness and diameter by microns, but that is enough in some cases to turn your smooth reel into a grinding reel. There are adjustment shims available from Shimano that might need to be added or subtracted in order to get that "just right" feel. I got mine to that point and I am very glad I took the time and spent the money to get it done.
If you are expecting to change your Stradic into the smoothness of a Stella, that is not going to happen. Will there be a noticeable difference in performance? Yes. Will you cast farther? No. The internal bearings have no affect on how the line comes off the spool.
I recommend the ABEC 7 Orange Seal bearings. They are smoother, have ceramic(non corroding) balls and high quality stainless steel cages and housings. The seals are non contact and help keep crud out.
I have some bearings in stock that I can sell or install. I also strongly suggest going to a carbon fiber drag washer upgrade. Reds can do a number on the Shimano stock drag washers, especially if they dry out. I have opened spools to find lint where the drag washers used to be. I have never, and I mean never had a carbon drag skip, chatter, bind or do anything other than start smooth and remain smooth from the beginning to the end of a fish battle.
I have received reels in boxes and zip-lock bags, and expect it to happen again in the future. There is nothing to be ashamed of in asking for help or admitting you got in over your head. If it gets to that point I will be happy to reassemble the reel for you.
If you have any other questions or want to discuss it further call me. 850.445.4889
FF
TKHathaway

Post by TKHathaway »

Thanks for all of the overwhelming help guys! After all of the replies, I am now leaning toward the Ci4, but am completely undecided between the 3000 or 4000 model. Hopefully I can make my mind up soon & be back in the water when all this rain clears out.

Thanks again guys! :thumbup:
- TK

"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck"
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Ci4 3000
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

shimano in most reels they only put 1, anti -corrosion bearing that on the pinion most companys follow suit. in most reels they put seal bearings
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Never mind...
locken_21

Post by locken_21 »

Good morning,
I'm sure you cannot go wrong with stradic 3 or 4000. I've got a 4000 FI and love it. I use it out of my kayak and out in the open ocean. I caught both of these guys using it with a St. Croix 7' tidemaster- I believe is the name of the rod. The redfish was right off dog island and the king was out a ways. Hopefully I can get pics to work, as this is the first time I've tried posting them.

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I've got several Stradic 4000's that are between 6 and 10 years old that have been GREAT reels. They need cleaning right now but I've never had a problem with them. They cast great and I have no problem using braid with them. I very seldom get wind knots but if I do I just reduce the drag and pull the line off with the bail closed until the loop pulls out. The 4000 handles anything I've caught on it with ease from big bass in thick grass and pads to yellowtail snapper in the Keys. After a lot of casting they do start to feel a little heavy on the shoulder thanks to some arthritis. The next reel I get will probably be the 3000 or smaller to get a little less weight while on the flats.

I did just get a Penn Sargus 6000 I found online new for $70 shipped. I put it on an Ugly Stick I found on clearance. It should make a good boat rod for the kids and wife to abuse if we luck into a tarpon, cobia, shark, or king. You know how these things work though... The Sargus will remain safe in the holder while the 7 year old accidentally knocks the Baitrunner into the ocean.