what boat to get?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Re: what boat to get?

Post by salty tiger »

While you're exploring boats take a look at the Andros 22 or Panga Marine 22. Pangas aren't for everyone, but they definitely fit what you're looking for.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

salty tiger wrote:While you're exploring boats take a look at the Andros 22 or Panga Marine 22. Pangas aren't for everyone, but they definitely fit what you're looking for.

X 2 :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

silverking wrote:
salty tiger wrote:While you're exploring boats take a look at the Andros 22 or Panga Marine 22. Pangas aren't for everyone, but they definitely fit what you're looking for.

X 2 :thumbup:
X3 :thumbup: :beer: :-)

Was skinny scary in mine last weekend. Honestly don't want to get that skinny in the Ecky area again. Water was too clear & saw WAY more rocks in the shallow water than I wanted to see. :smt107 :smt103

Maybe this rain will cloud things back up so I can act blissfully ignorant again! :smt045 :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pangas are great boats, one of my best fishin buddies has a 22' panga, old school with the saddle gas tanks. Before he moved, we fished it often. Very versatile, did well in shallow water and well offshore. His big issue was a trolling motor. He didn't want a transom mount, and the bow mount was super long and turned him off for some reason. I have a 22' pathfinder t, and love it. He only has a 115 2 stroke Yama,and I have a 150 4 stroke and his would cruise almost as fast. With all of that said I still like my pathfinder better, but you probably can't go wrong either way. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

yeah the Panga's and Andros look nice but like you said they ain't for everyone. i'm thinking the pathfinder might be the route i take just gotta find a nice one!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

dombern34 wrote:yeah the Panga's and Andros look nice but like you said they ain't for everyone. i'm thinking the pathfinder might be the route i take just gotta find a nice one!

So please clear up the confusion...Why did you sell a Skeeter bay boat to buy a Pathfinder bay boat? Both are factory-paired with Yamaha power (Yamaha owns Skeeter), both have very similar hull designs, layouts and performance.

Not trying to beat you up, but from your original post you said you wanted something that would draft shallow but still be capable of running nearshore. And a bay boat is probably the best compromise to achieve those goals.

I write about boating trends and test boats for a living, so I'm very curious about your thought process here.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

to be honest i don't have a real reason on why i sold it. it was an 04 with out dated Acc. on it and i just wanted to get out from under that boat. which i did, and now want something a little newer with more storage room. my skeeter didn't have the layout that i liked. i figure it was good when i first looked at it but after fishing out of it for a little while it just bugged me more and more. but i mean it handled and rode nice just want something newer, only reason. i have my eye on a few Xpress's along with a few pathfinders but just comparing the two is hard. both have the pro's and con's that i'm just having to think about.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Even though I recently purchased a boat in December, I can forsee moving up within 18 months. I looked at the Xpress when I bought mine and the only issues I could find with them in very general terms was issues with bad welds. That in itself isn't the biggest issue. After a lot of research and reading, the issue seemed to be that Xpress wasn't standing behind their product and making the repairs. To me, that is the BIG issue. They do make a great bay boat with the hyperlift hull. Just plan to put in your time searching and the right boat will find you. I searched craigslist almost daily for 4 + months before finding mine and drove almost to Atlanta for it but well worth it. Not sure what your timing is like, but I bought mine in January when very few folks are looking for a boat and more concerned about their credit card bills from the holidays. I paid cash and it translated into a very good deal. With some luck and a lot of searching, I'll be doing the same next go round. Keep us posted on what you buy etc.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

If you can wait until the end of summer into the winter you will find much better deals.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

dombern34 wrote:to be honest i don't have a real reason on why i sold it. it was an 04 with out dated Acc. on it and i just wanted to get out from under that boat. which i did, and now want something a little newer with more storage room. my skeeter didn't have the layout that i liked. i figure it was good when i first looked at it but after fishing out of it for a little while it just bugged me more and more. but i mean it handled and rode nice just want something newer, only reason. i have my eye on a few Xpress's along with a few pathfinders but just comparing the two is hard. both have the pro's and con's that i'm just having to think about.

I totally understand wanting something new or different, trust me. I'm on my sixth boat now, but I've had the Bayshore for 10 years and am on the third engine (upgrade periodically to stay in warranty). I'll probably have it at least another 10 if not longer. But when I win that Powerball jackpot this weekend, I'm expanding the fleet with an extreme technical poling skiff that will float in spit. And I'm going to hire a full-time guide to pole me around for a change. :lol:

Good luck with your search. As others have mentioned, the off-season is often the best time and best value to buy. Keep us posted when you get your new ride.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Check out Key West boats! Good, solid, reputable boat. We have a 1700 Sportsman and we love every bit of it! Can fish 3 people comfotably and you can go a good bit out but using common sense. Can draft in less than 2 ft of water.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Well I found a x21b bay xpress 08 model with everything a boat could have and I made a very low offer not expecting them to bite but after they thought about it and me staying firm I got it at a low price pretty excited of everything goes as planned I should be heading to get it next weekend I do appreciate all the help on this post. Hope everyone had a good weekend
setty7

Post by setty7 »

dombern34 wrote:Well I found a x21b bay xpress 08 model with everything a boat could have and I made a very low offer not expecting them to bite but after they thought about it and me staying firm I got it at a low price pretty excited of everything goes as planned I should be heading to get it next weekend I do appreciate all the help on this post. Hope everyone had a good weekend

awesome! post pics when you get it
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Does anyone know anything about a release I found one that I like and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them thanks again!