What's YOUR perfect boat ?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: What's YOUR perfect boat ?

Post by GaryDroze »

Hornbeck Ten:

10-foot Kevlar low-profile canoe. Custom built in the Adirondacks for solo anglers. Weighs 13 pounds. Costs about $100/pound, but once I get it, I'll be able to backpack it to half a dozen more tidal creeks that I've been lusting to reach.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You're a stronger and more adventuresome man than I am, Gary. But that canoe does sound cool.

BB, Chaos bought the original molds from Bayshore, but they changed so many things on the hulls and caps that they're not even close anymore. St. James Boats near Tampa appears to have knocked off the Bayshore skiff and Sportsman designs to come up with their's. Not sure how many they're building, though.

The lesson of this thread is to each his own. No one boat will do it all, but some come close. After I win that PowerBall jackpot tonight, I'll have several sizes and styles of boats in the SK fleet. And captains/guides to run them for me or pole me around while I'm on the bow or in the fighting chair. :wink:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THOSE PAID FOR BOATS ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN ANYOTHER KIND. I CURRENTLY HAVE A 18 FT. STARCRAFT ALUM. MFG. BY FORD MOTOR CO. I HAVE A 85 HP EVINRUDE THAT PUSHES IT ALONG WITH 3 FISHERMEN AND GEAR AT A SMOOTHE 45 MPH. I HAVE NEVER HAD THE ENGINE WOT WITH JUST ME IN THE BOAT, IT PROBABLY HIT 50 MPH WITH JUST ME ON BOARD. THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD WAS A 36 FT. STAMAS WITH TWIN 600 MANN DIESELS, IT JUST GOT TOO EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN , STORAGE, WENT FROM $50 PER MONTH TO $350 PER MONTH, FUEL WENT FROM .40 CENTS A GAL TO OVER $5 A GAL. JUST WOULD NOT PAY THAT FOR A BOAT TO GO FISH OFF SHORE WITH. CAN DO THE OFF SHORE FISHING WITH A GUIDE FOR MUCH LESS. OUR OTHER BOAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE IS A SAILFISH 19 FOOTER WITH A 90 YAM. THAT WE USE WHEN WE GO TO THE EAST COAST. SINCE I HIT MY 90TH BIRTHDAY I JUST DO NOT HAVE AS MUCH DESIRE TO DO MUCH FISHING WHERE IT TAKES SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AND ALL DAY TO DO IT. I CAN FISH THE PONDS HERE AT THE SOUTH FORTY FOR SEVERAL HOURS AND MOST TIMES CATCH ALL THE BASS AND SPECKLE PERCH WE CAN EAT FOR A WEEK. WHEN I FINISH CLEANING THE FISH I CAN LAY DOWN AND TAKE A NAP AND GET UP AND DO IT AGAIN IN THE EVENING.
PA
SEMPER FI :smt006 salute1 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

0926121538.jpg
0926121538.jpg (354.27 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Pirate Girl
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Every time I take someone out in our boat, and they get to thinking about getting one, they ask me what my thoughts are. Knowing their level of experience and genuine level of interest, my response is normally, "One that belongs to someone else." Not to discourage them, most have an open invite whenever we are going out, and I don't expect anything in return, just enjoy hanging out on the water.
850-273-8818
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I reckon there may be a perfect boat, but I have so many needs that I need multiple boats.

Saltwater, mostly inshore, but I can run out on a nice day.
ranger.JPG
ranger.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Duck hunting in comfort
barge.JPG
barge.JPG (133.05 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Hand made pirogue, dont roll your eyes or it will tip.
pirogue hunt2.JPG
pirogue hunt2.JPG (95.06 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Just bought this one, gonna use as a layout in some situations, as a conveyance in others. It is made of carbon fiber, weighs in a 45 pounds. Amazingly stable.
puddler.JPG
puddler.JPG (57.95 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Plus I have half interest in a 14' aluminum for fishing the salt creeks and a handmade marsh boat that has not seen much use.

Hi, my name is Onefishtwofish and I am addicted to boats.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

onefishtwofish wrote:I Hi, my name is Onefishtwofish and I am addicted to boats.
That is the first step to recovery, admitting it lmao :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Wow Doc, that is quite a fleet. The ranger looks slick, the duck boat makes me jealous, Impressive pile of ducks on the pirogue. And the others to boot, man you are livin the dream. Gives me hope
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

LOL Now I just have to find time to use them. Had to give up golf and deer hunting, not enough time to hunt ducks, turkey and flats fish. Dang work gets in the way.

Those birds were killed on a private CRP that a buddy of mine (OD) hunts. Has not been any water in there the last 3 years, but we hammered them for the 4 days we were there 4 years ago. 4 man limits of greenheads every day, with some bonus "little ducks" as his relatives call them.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Friends call me the admiral because I have an armada. I have an armada because there is NO ONE perfect boat. There might be a perfect boat for a particular situation. There is definitely NO PERFECT INSHORE/OFFSHORE boat. Those are truly two different hull configurations. Good luck and tight line!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

The perfect boat? One that will run in a couple of inches of water and still go off shore. One that will never let you down or get you wet. One with plenty of room for everyone but small enough to creek fish. And one that loves ethanol.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Amen on the paid for. love my Clearwater bay , loved my nauticstar and still like them
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

GaryDroze wrote:Hornbeck Ten:

10-foot Kevlar low-profile canoe. Custom built in the Adirondacks for solo anglers. Weighs 13 pounds. Costs about $100/pound, but once I get it, I'll be able to backpack it to half a dozen more tidal creeks that I've been lusting to reach.
Looked at this website and was discussing with Katie last night while walking the dogs. I certainly understand simplicity and sometimes how it can make experiences more enjoyable. I even understand doing things "the hard way" and how that can be more enjoyable than being gifted something. I spent an entire summer portaging canoes through the boundry waters in nothern Wisconsin and loved it. However, I wonder what makes you tick Gary? You've contemplated electric enginges that cost more than this boat so money isn't the issue. Katie's guess is that this would serve as a "gate-way" boat in getting you into the "harder stuff" and that is what keeps you from buying one. What is it buddy?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

When I discover the "Perfect" boat... I'll start another post! :o Some are perfect for for skinny stuff, rough stuff, deep stuff, fast stuff, sit'n still stuff, quite stuff, get ya wet stuff, store'n stuff, etc.... So far, I ain't found one that is perfect for all the stuff. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:Hornbeck Ten:

Looked at this website and was discussing with Katie last night while walking the dogs. I certainly understand simplicity and sometimes how it can make experiences more enjoyable. I even understand doing things "the hard way" and how that can be more enjoyable than being gifted something. I spent an entire summer portaging canoes through the boundry waters in nothern Wisconsin and loved it. However, I wonder what makes you tick Gary? You've contemplated electric enginges that cost more than this boat so money isn't the issue. Katie's guess is that this would serve as a "gate-way" boat in getting you into the "harder stuff" and that is what keeps you from buying one. What is it buddy?

I was wondering the same thing. My good fishing buddy got a jonny a few months back. He has around $1000 in it. Nothing fancy, but small enough to launch solo. And fish in the shallow water. I know where Gary fishes sometimes. As I bump into him from time to time. We will also see his footprints in areas no one else could walk to. My guess is he really likes hardcore guerrilla wadefishing. I'm looking forward the answer.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven