Rod Question - Best for the Money

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ced0412

Re: Rod Question - Best for the Money

Post by ced0412 »

St Croix makes a better rod, but Shimano's warranty is easier.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

ced0412 wrote:St Croix makes a better rod, but Shimano's warranty is easier.
Cant be any easier, broke St Croix on a tarpon down in Boca Grande. Brought it back to Lynn at Kevins, told him what happened, he said put it over there and grab a new one. Thats service, and EASY! Best rods , for the price hands down! :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I'm a G Loomis man. I realize that folks think they are overpriced but I have been fishing in saltwater for 10 years with a couple of GL 3's and I have had zero trouble. Their customer service is great. I have also had great experience with Falcon rods.
Team Jolly Mon
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Ok... I've had terrible luck with any upper end rods. Iv'e had a Shimano get snatched right out of my hand while groping with one hand in the ice chest. (It shot off off like an arrow from a bow) I've lost brand new rods - tossed right out of my rod holders while going over swells off Dog Island. I've snapped the ends off while stepping in and/or out of my boat. At this point I am sticking with ugly sticks, and the other poles that needed new tips. I would be reluctant to spend over $50 for a pole because of my record of breaking them or loosing the whole rig.... I'd stick with the Ugly ones.
Pictured below is/was one of my all-time favorites. A fish stole it after I unhooked a trout, I laid the pole down with the lure dangling on the surface of the water, and like Houdini it disappeared on the flats in 8' of murky dark water... Image :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Let me start with this. I am a long time fan of G. Loomis rods and I suspect I will always be. They seem to fit me well.
I have been very happy with the Green waters that I own. The one NRX I have cannot be beat for inshore, but this was after I had some guides replaced to accommodate leader knots.
Since Shimano acquired G.Loomis some years back, the quality of their rods had increased significantly. They are lighter, stronger and more sensitive than they ever were and the couple of Terramars I own have performed past my expectations. They also are specializing in specie/style type rods which makes getting the right rod to reel match a lot easier. I have always preferred using the lightest tackle possible for the task. It is just a little more exciting to me.
Given the parameters you started with, I would not hesitate to suggest Shimano rods for durability, sensitivity, weight and power. They are a good bang for the buck.
One last thing...died in the wool St. Croix fans do not seem to like G. Loomis and vice versa. I don't know why, just an observation.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've mostly moved over to custom rods but, if i was to buy one? i would go with a Shimano or a Gloomis hands down. but IMO i think the Gloomis's are a bit over priced as you're paying for the name, now i'm not putting those rods down as they are great rods and i would own another as i have owned many in the past but, to me i believe i can build the same quality of a rod but for near half the price. now i'm not pushing you to get a custom rod but, i don't think you can go wrong with one if you know what you're wanting out of a rod.

if you don't have any luck finding anything i'll be glad to bring your old rods back to life :thumbup:
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

If you can find a custom built Allstar 1088 blank for your Cobia fishing you will not be disappointed. If you can find one please let me know as I will buy it myself. That being said, Rainshadow makes a replica 1088 or 1089 blank that is great for Cobia fishing.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I have 2 gloomis gl3 rods that have been put through the ringer and they are still in great shape after 5 years. I have not had to replace one single piece of those rods and they have been beat up bad. I know they are pricey but you get plenty of bang for your buck.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I fished with a Tarpon guide a few years ago out of Apalach. He said buy the best you can afford.
So, when I could, I bought what he had. St. Croix. Now, this was for inshore and, they were only about 110.00 from Cabelas.
Nevercaughtup

Post by Nevercaughtup »

Started buying Shimano Cumara rods a while back. Pricey but hard to fish with other stuff now that we have them. We have been using Crucials for bait casting for years. It's just hard to keep track of Shimano stuff because they change so much.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

If uv havnt tried a hurricane-calico jack, check out it out compared to a Shimano. Med-heavy 7-6". Garantee is good on the shimano but I wish I would have gotanother hurricane! I mean just go to the stores and handle both rods and u can feel the differences as well as see them.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

You may want to check out Temple Fork Outfitters. G Loomis is out of his contract w/ Shimano and has started these rods. I have 2 and really like them. Having said that, they are hard to find. I feel that the next one will be the Shimano Cumaro, twice the money, but I have to try it. Offshore, I'm with almost everyone else on the Trevala.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

For a good value the Bass pro gold cup inshore rods are good, very durable. I have a Shimano Clarus that I also like. All my inshore rods are 7' 6" spinning rods. My next rod will probably be either a Star Seagis rod or Shimano Crucial rod. Both use the K-Style guides from Fuji and I want to try them, suppose to be great for braided line.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I have a bunch of loomis inshore rods and like them, but I would definately not put them in the best bang for your buck category. Best bang for the buck, IMO would be a clarus or terrimar(lifetime guarantee) or the lower end st croix( 5 year guarantee) $70-$110 or so. But if Dom says he can build one for half the price of a Gl3, I'd take a hard look at that. Should be in the neighborhood of $125 if my math is correct. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I just got done breaking down a gloomis rod for a boy who wants it redone, grips eyes even re painted the blank, I was not please with how the rod was put together. this guy probably paid 300 plus for the rod and the reel seat wasn't even glued on straight and the spine was way off. I just think if you're gonna fork out that kind of money for a rod, then it needs to be done right. And gloomis aren't using any other high quality parts that any rod builder can't get ahold of. Now a shimano cumara's are also a nice rod and I've had one before that a guy sold me last year and I never had a problem with it. I actually sold to a member on here last year. But, our local outdoor store here said they will not be carrying them because too many came back broken. They did the same thing with the carrot stixs.