Newbie Introduction

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Eerman wrote: Just avoid that Tin Can guy, he's a troublemaker. :-D :-D
I resemble that! :-?
What was I supposed to do today?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Castnets, now there's a topic open to a different opinion from each person asked. :lol:

The two major castnet styles around these parts are the English style net, aka long brail net and the Spanish style net, aka pocket net, aka short brail net.

The English style net has long brails that go from the leadline, through the horn, to a large swivel, to the hand line. As the net is pulled back in by the hand line, the brails pull the leadline up to the horn forming the whole net into a big pocket, bagging the fish.

The Spanish style net has a built in pocket and no horn. The short brails go from the leadline to the webbing of the net forming a permanent bag in the bottom of the net.

Which is better depends on who you ask, more than anything else.

Size of the net is measured by the radius with nets ranging from 3'-14'. 14' being the largest legal size. Personally, I find small nets very difficult to throw well.

Mesh size depends on the size fish you want to catch.

I'm currently throwing a 9', 1" mesh, Spanish style, monofilament net, with a 24' hand line for mullet.

I have been told that the commercial guys over toward Pensacola tend to prefer a 12', 1" mesh, nylon, pocket net. Which is probably what my next net is going to be. With a longer hand line than is on my current net.

I suggest, the best net to start with is a cheap one. The mechanics of throwing castnets are the same regardless if it's a cheap commercially made one or a good handmade net and it won't hurt as bad if you throw a cheap net over the oyster covered rocks you didn't know were there. :wink:

The really good handmade nets can run into many Dineros.

Maybe some of the other guys can go into how much weight a net of a given size should have. :D
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Welcome Kregar, glad to have you aboard. I have in-laws who live in Tar Pine around the corner from you. That's a great area to live and fish. Have you been looking at boats yet?

Joel
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
dave7

Post by dave7 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good to have you aboard. This message board is like an electronic barbershop where you can always get some advice and learn something new. (Like it or not) :D
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Yo Kreg :smt006 , welcome to the forum..A year and you will be hooked on this place- The Big Bend area that is. If you do leave, it'll probably be to make more money, so you can come back.. :D
Dave7- 'Thank it's more like Cheers than a babershop, but then I ain't hung out in that many barbershops. :-D :-D
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Welcome aboard, Kregar. Maybe we'll get to meet you atthe social. Try to come if you can. Right now, fishing's a little slow. And February is closed to trout. It starts getting good again about March as trout come back into shallow grass flats to feed and spawn.
Yours in the South
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

LETS GO

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

WELCOME.

I'd be happy to have you aboard. I'm not taking and charters for the winter but I dish several times a week. Give me a call. I'm about 25 minutes from your house at Oyster Bay. Got lots of room. Fishing this time of year isn't as easy as in the summer but what the hell. Just bring your eats and drinks. I don't need the money. Let's get together.

See you on the water.
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
kregar
Site Sponsor

Post by kregar »

Thanks for the offer Captain Charlie.. I'm free Friday if you wanna fish..

I may be moving close to you. Over at Marsh Harbor Marina.. I made an offer on a sailboat over there.. If I get it, I moving onboard..

Kreg