Baitcaster vs Spinning -Which one?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I guess its' a man thing. I use a baitcaster. :roll:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I guess its' a man thing. I use a baitcaster. :roll:
There you go. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I thought I saw a spinning reel in your boat yesterday JT51, who was wearing the whig :smt005 :smt005

I use primarily a baitcaster and they are Ambassadors mainly... I have a Shimano in the stable but mainly Abu's...those that fish with me... know I can fling it out there, but am subject to a professional overrun from time to time....I have a spinning rod and it has it's use..light baits and into the wind for me.

I find it interesting that if pay attention to the IFA and FLW saltwater tournaments on TV...Spinners are used predominately...I see alot of the bassers doing more and more spinning as well.

All is fair in love and fishing, choose your weapon wisely... 8) :thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

My dad gave me a baitcaster a few months back...I guess I should learn to use it so I can feel manly. :D
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

bman wrote:These were some of the first reels that Shimano introduced into the US market- after parting ways with Lews.
They are solid as a rock and stand up to all kinds of abuse.

I love my early 80's technology!
bman, I have 7 of the original Lew's Speed Spools. 6 of them are still in working condition. I used those reels exclusively until somewhere around 2000. The Bantam 10 and the Bantam 100 were a takeoff on the Lew's. Good solid reels. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
bman

Post by bman »

TC-
Those Lews of yours were made by Shimano. Look on the side and you can find the Shimano trademark. After Shimano came out with the Bantam 100 Lews started using Ryobi to make their reels and they were never the same.

What are you fishing now??
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

bman wrote:TC-
Those Lews of yours were made by Shimano. Look on the side and you can find the Shimano trademark. After Shimano came out with the Bantam 100 Lews started using Ryobi to make their reels and they were never the same.

What are you fishing now??
All of my Lew's reels say Shimano. When Shimano stopped making them I bought 1 reel made by Ryobi. Sold it soon after.

I'm using Curado's for fresh water and Calcutta's for salt.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It's not the reel it's the fisherman and what you are used to and fish with the best. My first rod and reel was a steel shaft rod with a "bait caster." The reel had black Dacron line,the drag was your thumb. You were lucky to have a 15 yard cast. Mostly you threw it out and and let line out to your desired lenghth then began your retieve. Generally you put it out with cut bait or shrimp and drug it along until you got a bite.
It did not free spool either. When you hooked a fish you had to be careful the reel handle didn't break your fingers as line was being pulled away.
Damn I'm glad we aren't still there.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

JT, I still have a couple of those reels around. Things sure have changed.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Yeah, JT, I know what you mean. I learned with my Dad's old Phlueger level wind and about a 4 foot steel rod, with the black line as you described.. I think it was about 1954 or so. He always had this old plug tied on. I think it was a torpedo or something like that, with propeller on both ends. Ya cast it, then spend 5 minutes picking her out- And, once in a while, the plug would come flying back at ya.
Then about 1958, I spent some of my summer job money on a spincast outfit from Western Auto. Talk about high cotton.. It was Jitterbugs and Dalton Specials slinging times. Not much telling how many nights I spent on farm ponds and small lakes around Thomasville listening to the guggle of a Jitterbug. 'Dang bass love it, too .
My next reel came after my tour of duty about 1965- A Mitchell 300 on at 6 ft solid fiberglas rod. It was all hi tech from there out. Ufalla, Sinclair, Lanier, I couldn't get enough.
While I had some friiends who graduated to Ambassadeur 5000s and so on, I never wanted anything that resembled a baitcaster. The idea just brought too many bad memories of castin and pickin.

I only recently thought I might want to get a baitcaster to see, if they were everything folks talk about.. Can't be that bad with all the new features they come with.
Maybe I will get one, yet. :-)