Tarpon Tales and Tips

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

CaptRon.
Thanks for your insights. I was kind of cringing myself at loading 50 lb stuff on a reel. Not only is there the casting problem, but also the fact that you stand to get stripped a lot quicker with that kind of heavy line and the associated reduced capacity. Glad to hear it does not seem to help much, if at all. I also like the idea of using 60-80# fluoro on the tag end. Thanks again.

abcarias

Many thanks to Capt Ron for his contribution

Post by abcarias »

Many thanks to Capt Ron for his contribution. Its great to get some advise from someone with lots of experience. I dont want a tarpon to tow me too far which is why I am thinking 30lb along with a drift bag. Ive been searching the web for other advise on catching tarpon from a yak and have found very little other then the dvd I am passing around now. If anyone has web sites or articles, please contribute to the group. This is a fun project. At least one of us has to get one this season! Thanks again Ron!!
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon

Post by Apalach »

Capt Ron,
One more question--what type of knot have you found best to secure the 60-80# fluoro to the 30# mono and then to the 15# mono?

BTW, where the heck is Magnolia Bluff? Is this the community near Pensacola that is just off Escambia Bay?

Thanks for your help.
Dick